Helium Hamiltonian: Derive Ground State & Quantum Numbers

In summary, the question asks for an expression for the Hamiltonian of the Helium atom and the state function for its ground state. Neglecting the interaction between electrons, the ground state is given by the product of the two ground states of the hydrogen atom. The total wavefunction must be antisymmetric, resulting in a spin singlet state with the quantum numbers n = 1, l = 0, m_l = 0, s = 0, and m_s = 0.
kramleigh
Hi,

I have a question in a past exam paper which I can't quite understand how to prove. It reads:

Give an expression for the Hamiltonian of the Helium atom. Neglecting the interaction between the electrons, derive the state function for the Helium ground state in terms of hydrogen-like spatial state functions and spin eigenstates. What are the quantum numbers of this state?

I have attched a word document which shows the progress that I have made on the question so far.

I understand that the spin eigenstates are the "1/2" terms after each chi and that the interaction term is the last in the hamiltonian but am unsure on how to prove that this is its ground state, other than the fact that psi100, is the lowest energy state since n = 1.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Attachments

• HeliumHamiltonian.doc
    21 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kramleigh said:
Hi,

I have a question in a past exam paper which I can't quite understand how to prove. It reads:

Give an expression for the Hamiltonian of the Helium atom. Neglecting the interaction between the electrons, derive the state function for the Helium ground state in terms of hydrogen-like spatial state functions and spin eigenstates. What are the quantum numbers of this state?

I have attched a word document which shows the progress that I have made on the question so far.

I understand that the spin eigenstates are the "1/2" terms after each chi and that the interaction term is the last in the hamiltonian but am unsure on how to prove that this is its ground state, other than the fact that psi100, is the lowest energy state since n = 1.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Ok, in the hamiltonian for the helium atom you have terms for the individual electrons and the interaction term. But in this problem you can neglect it, which means that the ground state of the helium atom is just the product of the two ground states of the hydrogen atom, so the ground state for the helium atom is given by
[tex]\psi_0 (r_1 , r_2 ) = \frac{8}{\pi a^3}e^{-2(r_1 + r_2) / a}[/tex]
If you plug this in your hamiltonian you will obtain an energy of E = -109 eV. This energy does not depend on the spin quantum numbers, because you don't take spin-orbit coupling and all other perturbative effects into account i presume :rolleyes:

Now you are right that the total wavefunction must be antisymmetric because the electrons are fermions. This means that the spin part must be antisymmetric. The only possible antisymmetric spin state for 2 electrons, is the spin singlet, which has the quantum numbers s = 0 and m_s = 0. This spin part of the wavefunction is just 1/sqrt(2) (up(1)down(2) - down(1)up(2)), which you also wrote down in your doc file.

Now the final part of the question is easy, your quantum numbers are n = 1, l = 0, m_l = 0, s = 0, m_s = 0. So you basically already solved the problem :)

Last edited:

Related to Helium Hamiltonian: Derive Ground State & Quantum Numbers

1. What is the Helium Hamiltonian?

The Helium Hamiltonian is a mathematical expression that describes the total energy of a Helium atom in terms of its constituent particles, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. It takes into account the interactions between these particles and is an important tool in understanding the behavior of Helium atoms.

2. How is the Ground State of Helium derived from the Hamiltonian?

The Ground State of Helium is the lowest energy state that the atom can exist in. To derive the Ground State from the Helium Hamiltonian, we use a mathematical technique called the variational method. This involves making a trial wavefunction and minimizing the energy with respect to its parameters. The resulting wavefunction gives us the Ground State energy and the corresponding quantum numbers.

3. What are Quantum Numbers and how are they related to the Helium Hamiltonian?

Quantum Numbers are a set of numbers that describe the properties of an atom, such as energy level, orbital shape, and orientation. In the context of the Helium Hamiltonian, the quantum numbers arise from solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. These numbers are used to label the different energy levels and orbitals of Helium atoms.

4. Can the Helium Hamiltonian be used to study excited states?

Yes, the Helium Hamiltonian can be solved for excited states of Helium atoms as well. This involves using more complex mathematical techniques, such as the configuration interaction method, which takes into account the interactions between different electron configurations. By solving for excited states, we can gain a better understanding of the electronic structure of Helium atoms.

5. How does the Helium Hamiltonian contribute to our understanding of atomic behavior?

The Helium Hamiltonian is an essential tool in the field of atomic physics and quantum mechanics. It allows us to accurately predict the behavior of Helium atoms, such as their energy levels and electron configurations. By understanding the behavior of individual atoms, we can gain a deeper understanding of the properties and interactions of matter on a larger scale.