Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle

In summary, we are trying to determine the uncertainty in momentum for an electron confined within a region of atomic dimensions on the order of 10^-10 m. Using the uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum must be greater than or equal to Planck's constant divided by 4π, we can calculate the uncertainty in momentum to be approximately 5.27 x 10^-25 kg m/s. This shows the importance of considering the uncertainty in position when dealing with subatomic particles.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An electron is confined within a region of atomic dimensions on the order to 10-10 m. Compute the uncertainty in its momentum.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this problem involves a simple application of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle; however, I'm having a hard time deciding what I should use as my uncertainty in the position of the particle. Could someone help me reason this out?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question! It's great that you are thinking about how to apply the uncertainty principle to this problem. In order to calculate the uncertainty in momentum, we need to first determine the uncertainty in position.

In this case, the electron is confined within a region of atomic dimensions, which we can approximate to be on the order of 10^-10 m. This means that the uncertainty in position is also on the order of 10^-10 m.

Now, we can use the uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum must be greater than or equal to Planck's constant divided by 4π. In mathematical terms, this can be expressed as ΔxΔp ≥ h/4π.

Plugging in the values, we get Δp ≥ h/(4πΔx) = (6.626 x 10^-34 J s)/[4π(10^-10 m)] = 5.27 x 10^-25 kg m/s.

Therefore, the uncertainty in momentum for the electron confined within a region of atomic dimensions is approximately 5.27 x 10^-25 kg m/s.

I hope this helps you to understand how to apply the uncertainty principle in this situation. Keep up the good work!

Related to Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle

What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, also known as the Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

Who developed the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle was developed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. Heisenberg was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1932 for his contributions to the development of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. It challenges the classical notion of determinism, which states that the behavior of particles can be predicted with absolute certainty.

How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle affect our daily lives?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle primarily applies to the behavior of particles on a microscopic level and does not have a direct impact on our daily lives. However, it has led to numerous technological advancements, such as the development of microscopes and other scientific instruments that allow us to observe and manipulate particles.

Is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle still widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is still widely accepted in the scientific community and is considered a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. It has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments, and continues to be a subject of ongoing research and discussion.