Heating water at 100 °C without coolers?

In summary, the individual is looking for a way to expose metallic material to water for 3, 6, and 12 months at 100 °C without using coolers. They are considering using glass vessels in an oven with special equipment, but have concerns about safety and potential overpressure. Another suggestion is to use a double boiler by immersing the glass vessels in boiling water. The individual is also concerned about the security of the metal part around the vessel and the red plastic pieces holding the top. They are looking for the easiest way to set up their experiment and are frustrated by the lack of available equipment.
k_amy21
hi,

I need to expose metallic material in the WATER for a certain period of time (3, 6 and 12 months) at 100 °C (+/- 5 °C) and normal pressure. Is it possible to do that without using coolers?
I was thinking of putting the glass vessels in the oven and closing it with some "special" equipment (please, see the attached file). What do you think, would that be safe and secure so the water does not evaporate and the whole system doesn´t explode because of the overpressure??

Regards

Attachments

• Dokument1.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 331
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would not close it tight without a safety valve, you need to take into account possible failure of the thermostat. That is assuming in the first place the vessel you are using is capable of sustaining slight overpressure.

Note that in the case of the blackout you may have quite the opposite problem - implosion instead of explosion.

Make a double boiler by immersing the glass vessels in boiling water. You could then go ahead and seal the glass vessels tight without concern for overpressure. Just be sure the boiler doesn't run dry.

I think this metal part around the vessel is preety secure (like some kind of valve), but these red plastic things which are holding the top I-don´t-know-what´s-it-cold :smile: could loosen after a while.
I am just searching for the easiest way to set up my experiment and it will, obviously, be using the coolers. grrrrrr... It´s not because I need to use the coolers, but it´s because then the whole equipment doesn´t fit in the oven, and therefore I need to use heating mantles and temperature regulators which I don´t have enough! ..gosh.. :cry:

I would recommend against heating water at 100 °C without coolers for extended periods of time. While it may be possible to use the method described with the glass vessels and specialized equipment, there are potential safety concerns that must be addressed.

Firstly, exposing metallic materials to high temperatures for extended periods of time can lead to oxidation and corrosion, potentially affecting the results of your experiment. Additionally, without proper circulation or cooling, there is a risk of hot spots forming in the water, leading to uneven heating and potentially damaging the materials being tested.

Furthermore, without a proper cooling system in place, there is a risk of the water evaporating and causing an overpressure within the vessel, potentially leading to an explosion. The use of specialized equipment may help to mitigate these risks, but it is not a foolproof solution.

In order to safely and accurately conduct your experiment, I would recommend using a controlled heating system with proper circulation and cooling mechanisms in place. This will ensure that the water remains at a constant temperature and does not evaporate, while also preventing potential damage to the materials being tested. Safety should always be a top priority in any scientific experiment.

Related to Heating water at 100 °C without coolers?

1. How is it possible to heat water to 100 °C without coolers?

Heating water to 100 °C without coolers is possible through the process of boiling. When water reaches its boiling point, it turns into steam and releases heat, raising the temperature of the remaining water.

2. Can any type of water be heated to 100 °C without coolers?

Yes, any type of water can be heated to 100 °C without coolers as long as it is in a container that can withstand high temperatures and is not frozen. However, the time it takes to reach the boiling point may vary depending on the purity and composition of the water.

3. Is it safe to heat water to 100 °C without coolers?

As long as proper safety precautions are taken, it is generally safe to heat water to 100 °C without coolers. However, caution should be taken when handling hot water and it is important to use appropriate equipment to prevent burns or accidents.

4. What are the practical applications of heating water to 100 °C without coolers?

Heating water to 100 °C without coolers is commonly used for cooking, sterilizing, and cleaning purposes. It is also a key component in industrial processes such as power generation, chemical reactions, and distillation.

5. Are there any disadvantages to heating water to 100 °C without coolers?

One potential disadvantage of heating water to 100 °C without coolers is that it may take longer to reach the boiling point compared to using a cooler or refrigerated water. Additionally, there is a risk of overheating the water, which can cause it to boil over or lead to accidents if not handled properly.