Heat transfer at high temperature

In summary, the most important type of heat transfer for transportation at high temperatures, specifically T>1000 K, is radiation. However, this is not always the case and it depends on the system being analyzed. When dealing with metallic conductors, the heat transfer method is dependent on the geometry and properties of the surfaces involved. Without specific details of the problem, it is difficult to provide advice on the exact formula to use.
Gavroy
Hi,
I wanted to ask, which type of heat transfer is generally most important for the transportation of heat especially at high temperatures? Does anybody know this? I am talking about temperatures T>1000 K

Science news on Phys.org
As the temperature difference increases, heat transfer by radiation (which goes as the fourth power of temperature) becomes significant and eventually dominates.

is this always true, because I need those information especially for metallic conductors?

No, it isn't always true. It depends on the particulars of the system being analyzed.

Okay,so maybe I should describe my problem more precisely. I have a conductor and I know his dimensions and his resistivity. Now I should derive a formula from this data, which enables me to calculate his resistivity depending on temperature, but I should only use the most important type of heat transport for temperatures over 1000 K referring to the formula. So I do not even know the material of the conductor. Does someone have an idea?

it depends upon the geometry and the properties of the surfaces involved.. each case is tied to the control volume and boudnary conditions... there is really no way anyone can give advice to you unless you could me more specific about the exact problem you pose.

Related to Heat transfer at high temperature

1. What is the definition of high temperature in the context of heat transfer?

High temperature in the context of heat transfer is typically considered to be any temperature above 1000 degrees Celsius. This can vary depending on the specific application and materials involved.

2. How does heat transfer occur at high temperatures?

Heat transfer at high temperatures occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two materials. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What are some common materials used for high temperature heat transfer?

Ceramics, metals, and refractory materials are commonly used for high temperature heat transfer due to their ability to withstand extreme temperatures and resist thermal degradation.

4. How does high temperature heat transfer impact industrial processes?

High temperature heat transfer is crucial for many industrial processes, such as metal smelting, glass production, and chemical reactions. It allows for efficient and precise control of temperature, which is necessary for producing high-quality products.

5. What are some challenges associated with high temperature heat transfer?

One of the main challenges of high temperature heat transfer is maintaining the integrity of materials under extreme conditions. This can lead to issues such as thermal expansion, material degradation, and corrosion. Additionally, high temperature heat transfer processes often require large amounts of energy, making them costly and potentially harmful to the environment.