Heat transfer and flux calculation

In summary, the Hanze University and Rijks University Groningen are participating in the Frisian Solar Challenge, a world race for solar boats. The solar cells used have an efficiency of 21% but perform worse at higher temperatures. To cool the solar panel, the team uses evaporation of water, with an assumed temperature of 18 degrees Celsius and a conversion of 21% of the sun's radiation into electricity. To calculate the amount of water needed for cooling, the flux can be calculated using the given assumptions and the formula provided.
said.alomairi
In July the Hanze University and the Rijks University Groningen participate in the Frisian Solar Challenge . This is world race for solar boats. The solar cells we use are so-called B50 cells with an efficiency of 21%.

The cells perform worse if the temperature rises. The way we cool the solar cell is by means of evaporation of water.

Assume that the solar panel is 60 degrees Celsius. The radiation of the sun is 1000W/m2.
Twenty one percent of the 1000 W is converted in electricity and does not have to be cooled.

We assume that the approximately 800 W will be converted into heat. What is the amount of water needed in kg/s to cool the panel by making use of a phase change. The phase change form liquid to gas.

Assumptions:
• All the water will evaporate
• The temperature of the water is 18 degrees of Celsius
• The surface of the solar panel is 1 m2

Calculate the flux?

i tried to calculate this but always i got it wrong

so please anyone can help me on this as it is my final assignment before i start my final project

Physics news on Phys.org
The amount of water needed in kg/s to cool the panel by making use of a phase change can be calculated using the following formula: Flux = (Heat energy / (Latent heat of vaporization x Temperature difference)) Flux = (800 W / (2.256 MJ/kg x (60 - 18) °C)) Flux = 0.0819 kg/s

Related to Heat transfer and flux calculation

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of thermal energy moving from one object or system to another due to a difference in temperature. This can occur through three main methods: conduction, convection, and radiation.

What is conduction?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid object by direct contact. This occurs when two objects at different temperatures come into contact with each other, causing heat to flow from the warmer object to the cooler one.

What is convection?

Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. This occurs when the particles in a fluid are heated, causing them to become less dense and rise, while cooler particles sink, creating a circular motion that transfers heat.

What is radiation?

Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. Unlike conduction and convection, radiation does not require a medium to transfer heat. This is how the sun's heat reaches the Earth, and how a person can feel the warmth of a fire from a distance.

How is heat flux calculated?

Heat flux is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred per unit area. It is calculated by dividing the amount of heat transferred by the area through which it is transferred. The unit of heat flux is watts per square meter (W/m²).