Heat equation, periodic heating of a surface

In summary: Yes,f_n(0)=\cos\left( 2\pi n t /T + \phi \right) is a solution of the diffusion equation with f_n(0) = \theta_n.
bobred

Homework Statement

The temperature variation at the surface is described by a Fourier
series
[tex]\theta(t)=\sum^\infty_{n=-\infty}\theta_n e^{2\pi i n t /T}[/tex]
find an expression for the complex Fourier
series of the temperature at depth [itex]d[/itex] below the surface

Homework Equations

Solution of the diffusion equation
[tex]\theta(x,t)=\cos\left(\phi+\omega t-\sqrt{\dfrac{\omega}{2D}}x\right)\exp\left(-\sqrt{\dfrac{\omega}{2D}}x\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A the surface [itex]x=0[/itex] so
[tex]\theta(0,t)=\cos\left(\omega t + \phi\right)[/tex]

To find the coefficients [itex]\theta_n[/itex] I'm guessing I use the Fourier formula

[tex]\theta_n=\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T dt \, \theta(0,t) \exp\left( -2\pi i n t/T \right) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can calculate the ##\theta_n##. They are some given (but unknown) constants, and you have to modify your solution to fit this constraint.

You can start with an easy case: imagine ##\theta_1=1## and ##\theta_n=0## for all other n. That makes the temperature at x=0 a sine. Can you find the temperature at depth d?
What happens with ##\theta_2=3## and ##\theta_n=0## for all other n? What happens in the general case?

Typo, [itex]\theta(x,t)[/itex] should be
[itex]\theta(x,t)=A\cos\left(\phi+\omega t-\sqrt{\dfrac{\omega}{2D}}x\right)\exp\left(-\sqrt{\dfrac{\omega}{2D}}x\right)[/itex] (c)
Advice from my tutor was
'The temperature is a superposition of solutions found in (c).
On the surface x=0...use this to determine the coefficients in the above and complete.'
Assuming I have got (c) correct!
James

Appologies, [itex]A=7.5^{\circ}[/itex]C, [itex]\omega=\frac{\pi}{43200} s^{-1}[/itex], [itex]\phi=\frac{4}{3}[/itex] and [itex]D=5\times10^{-7} m^2/s[/itex]

Where do those numbers come from? You cannot fix them like that for the problem.

A superposition of those solutions is the right approach.

These were given earlier in the question and you are right have no baring on this.

So to get the coefficients I should set x=0 and use the Fourier formula to find them?

I have done some calculations but getting trivial answers.
I am taking
[tex]\theta(0,t)=\cos\left(2\pi n \ t/T + \phi\right)[/tex]
and converting it to its complex exponential form and inserting into
[tex]\theta_n=\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T dt \, \theta(0,t) \exp\left( -2\pi i n t/T \right)[/tex]
Should phi be included?

Last edited:
You probably want to use the solution of the diffusion equation in the form [tex]Ce^{i\omega t}\exp\left(-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2D}}x - i\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2D}}x \right)[/tex] with [itex]x[/itex] measuring distance below the surface.

You'll need phi if θn can be complex.

I still don't see what "inserting into [long equation]" is supposed to mean, but I agree that you don't need long calculations.

By inserting into, I mean to work out the coefficients.
I'm a bit lost at the moment.

bobred said:
By inserting into, I mean to work out the coefficients.
I'm a bit lost at the moment.

You should treat the coefficients [itex]\theta_n[/itex] as known. You are asked for "an expression for the complex Fourier
series of the temperature at depth d below the surface" so you are looking for an expression of the form [tex]
\theta(d,t) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty e^{2n\pi it/T}f_n(d)[/tex] where [itex]e^{2n\pi it/T}f_n(x)[/itex] is a solution of the diffusion equation with [itex]f_n(0) = \theta_n[/itex].

So would
[tex]f_n(0)=\cos\left( 2\pi n t /T + \phi \right)[/tex]

Related to Heat equation, periodic heating of a surface

1. What is the heat equation and how does it relate to the periodic heating of a surface?

The heat equation is a mathematical formula that describes how heat is transferred within a material. It takes into account factors such as temperature, time, and the properties of the material. When applied to the periodic heating of a surface, it can help predict how the temperature of the surface will change over time.

2. How is the heat equation solved for a periodically heated surface?

The heat equation can be solved using various numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve dividing the surface into smaller elements and solving the equation for each element, taking into account the boundary conditions and the periodic heating source.

3. What are the boundary conditions for a periodically heated surface?

The boundary conditions for a periodically heated surface include the initial temperature of the surface, the temperature of the heating source, and the thermal properties of the material. These boundary conditions are necessary for solving the heat equation and predicting the temperature distribution on the surface.

4. What factors can affect the periodic heating of a surface?

Several factors can affect the periodic heating of a surface, such as the properties of the heating source (e.g. temperature, frequency), the thermal properties of the material, and the geometry of the surface. External factors such as ambient temperature and air flow can also impact the heating of the surface.

5. How is the heat equation used in real-world applications of periodic heating?

The heat equation is used in a variety of real-world applications, including the design of heating systems, thermal management in electronics, and understanding heat transfer in materials. It can also be used in research and development for optimizing heat distribution in industrial processes and improving energy efficiency.