Heat Capacity of a classical ideal gas and SHO

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat capacity for two different systems - an ideal gas model and a system of independent SHOs. The equation for heat capacity is mentioned and the attempt at finding the solution is described, with a question about taking the derivative of entropy with respect to temperature. The expert suggests using the inverse temperature equation and an expression for energy to calculate the heat capacity.
SirCrayon

Homework Statement

Ideal gas. In an ideal-gas model. N molecules move almost indepdently with very weak interactions between, in a three-dimensional box of volume V. Find the heat capacity of the system.

SHO. Consider N independent SHOs in a system. each osciallating about a fixed point. The spring constant is assumed to be k and the mass of oscillator m. FInd the heat capacity.

Homework Equations

I understand heat capacity can be described as change of energy (E) over time (T) so:

Cv (heat capacity) = (dE/dT * dS/dE)*T
= dS/dT*T

The Attempt at a Solution

I have S, but I am having trouble with taking the derivative of dS/dT. do i bring the T over so i can take dS/dT?

The S that I have is:

S = N*Kb*ln((V/h^3)*(((4*pi*m*E)/(3N)))*^(3/2)+3/2N

having trouble going from here since if it is S/T, my heat capacity would just be -S/T^2??

Thanks in advance for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
SirCrayon said:
I understand heat capacity can be described as change of energy (E) over time (T) so:
Temperature, not time. And your equation relates entropy changes to temperature, not energy changes.

With your S, you can calculate dS/dE. But that is just the inverse temperature:
$$\frac{1}{T}=\frac{\partial S}{\partial E}$$
With an expression E(T), you can calculate the heat capacity.

Related to Heat Capacity of a classical ideal gas and SHO

What is the definition of heat capacity for a classical ideal gas?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

What is the equation for calculating the heat capacity of a classical ideal gas?

The heat capacity of a classical ideal gas is given by the equation C = (3/2)Nk, where C is heat capacity, N is the number of particles, and k is the Boltzmann constant.

How does the heat capacity of a classical ideal gas change with temperature?

The heat capacity of a classical ideal gas is independent of temperature.

What is the heat capacity of a classical ideal gas at constant volume and constant pressure?

The heat capacity at constant volume is Cv = (3/2)Nk, while the heat capacity at constant pressure is Cp = (5/2)Nk.

What is the relationship between heat capacity and specific heat for a classical ideal gas?

Heat capacity and specific heat are directly proportional to each other. The specific heat of a substance is equal to its heat capacity divided by its mass.