Having trouble with significant figures

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of average speed and average velocity for a round trip. The total distance is 500km and the total time is calculated as 8.1770335 hours. The correct answer for average speed is determined to be 61km/h, but there is confusion about when to consider significant figures. The book advises to keep extra digits in intermediate calculations and round off only in the final result.
hitemup
Homework Statement

Calculate the average speed and average velocity of a complete round trip in which the outgoing 250 km is covered at 95 km/h, followed by a 1.0 h lunch break, and the return 250 km is covered at 55 km/hThe attempt at a solution
I know how to calculate average velocity and average speed. But doing these calculations with respect to significant figures is giving me hard times. Since average velocity is 0, I want to explain what I've done in average speed.

total length = 500km
--------------------------------------------
total time = 250/95 + 1.0 + 250/55

(250/95 = 2.63157895)
(250/55 = 4.54545455)

Now, I believe the result of 250/95 must have two significant digits(because denominator and numerator has 2 significant figures), so it should be 2.6.
Same for 250/55, we have 4.5.

500/8.1 = 61.7283951. Wouldn't this be 62 when you try to write with two significant figures?

But the correct answer is 61 according to the answer key. You can get to it by doing the following: (this is my guess to find 61, not anything from the book)
total time = 2.63157895 + 1.0 + 4.54545455 = 8.1770335
average speed = 500/8.1770335 = 61.1468695 = 61

As you see, I really don't know when to care for significant figures. Maybe I've had a false information about these and need to be informed, so I'd be glad if you could help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, now I got a quote from the book.

"When you divide 2.0 by 3.0, the proper answer is 0.67, and not some such thing as 0.66666666. Digits should not be quoted in a result, unless they are truly significant figures. However, to obtain the most accurate result, you should normally keep one or more extra significant figures throughout a calculation, and round off only in the final results."

First it says "round off", then "you should be keeping extra digits, and doing this stuff only on final result".

Last edited:
The book is correct. Significant figures are for reported results. When doing calculations keep as many digits for intermediate results as practical. With a calculator with multiple memories that could mean just using the full accuracy of the calculator. If you are documenting your steps for turning in for marking, write down one or two extra digits on intermediate values.

Never round intermediate values that you will be using for further calculations; Rounding error will eventually creep into your significant digits.

Likes hitemup

Related to Having trouble with significant figures

Question 1: What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures are digits in a number that are considered accurate and reliable. They are important because they indicate the precision and accuracy of a measurement or calculation.

Question 2: How do I determine the number of significant figures in a given number?

The general rule for determining the number of significant figures is to count all the digits from the first non-zero digit on the left to the last non-zero digit on the right. Zeros may or may not be significant depending on their placement in the number.

Question 3: What is the rule for rounding numbers to the correct number of significant figures?

The general rule for rounding is to look at the digit immediately to the right of the last significant figure. If it is 5 or greater, round the last significant figure up by 1. If it is less than 5, leave the last significant figure as is.

Question 4: How do I perform calculations with significant figures?

The rule for calculations is to round the final answer to the same number of significant figures as the number with the least number of significant figures involved in the calculation.

Question 5: Can significant figures affect the outcome of a calculation?

Yes, significant figures can affect the accuracy of a calculation. Rounding errors can occur if significant figures are not properly considered, leading to an inaccurate result. It is important to pay attention to significant figures in order to obtain a precise and accurate answer.