Having trouble finding the tension of this Newton law problem

In summary, the problem involves two blocks on a ramp and a horizontal plane. The mass of block A is 4.5 kg and it is sliding down the ramp while block B has a mass of 2.2 kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block B and the horizontal plane is 0.50. The inclined plane is frictionless and at an angle of 30°. The goal is to find the tension in the system. The equations involved are: Ma(g)sin theta-f(a)=ma a and T=ma g sin theta- fa-ma a. However, the correct answer may not be obtained if the equations are not set up correctly.
bblair3
Block A in the figure below has mass mA = 4.5 kg and is sliding down the ramp. Block B has mass mB = 2.2 kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block B and the horizontal plane is 0.50. The inclined plane is frictionless and at angle 30°.

part a is to find the tension

the equation I have is Ma(g)sin theta-f(a)=ma a
i also found fa of to be 19.096, which I used [itex]\mu[/itex]k mag cos theta

I found the b part which was to find the acceleration: 1.68 m/s^2

using my first equation for tension i keep getting t=13.99
webassign does not like that answer and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong

thanks for any help you guys can give me

Physics news on Phys.org
From the problem description only one of the blocks is on the slope, the other is on a horizontal surface. So I'm not seeing the reason for you're use of the cosine function when you calculate the frictional force.

You should be able to arrive at two expressions relating the tension and acceleration by analyzing the Free Body Diagrams of the two blocks.

if use sin to find Fa it gives me 11.025 which makes the tension equal 3.56 which is also wrong.
maybe I am not writing the equation right.

I am getting Tension to be T=ma g sin theta- fa-ma a

which I am getting 4.5(9.8)sin 30-19.096-(4.5)(9.8) which = 13.99

am I setting the equation wrong??

You should be getting two equations for the tension, one for each block, from their FBD's. These equations will each have two unknowns: the tension and the acceleration. From them a single equation for the tension can be assembled (by substituting the acceleration from one into the other).

Can you write the two equations from the FBD's?

Hi there,

It seems like you are on the right track with your equations and calculations. However, it's possible that there may be a small error in your calculations or units. Here are a few things to double check:

1. Make sure all your units are consistent. For example, if you are using the coefficient of kinetic friction, make sure the mass and acceleration are also in the correct units (usually kilograms and meters per second squared, respectively).

2. Check your calculations for the friction force (fa). It should be equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction (0.50) multiplied by the normal force (which is equal to the weight of block B, mB*g) in this case. Make sure you are using the correct angle (30 degrees) when calculating the normal force.

3. Make sure you are using the correct equation for tension. It should be T = mA*a + mB*g*sin(theta) - fa, where a is the acceleration you calculated (1.68 m/s^2) and fa is the friction force you calculated in step 2.

If you are still having trouble, I would recommend checking your work with a classmate or asking your professor for assistance. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can catch an error that we may have overlooked. Good luck!

Related to Having trouble finding the tension of this Newton law problem

1. What is tension in Newton's law?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a rope, cable, or wire when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is a type of force that pulls on an object in opposite directions.

2. How do I calculate the tension in a Newton's law problem?

To calculate the tension in a Newton's law problem, you will need to know the weight of the object, the angle of the rope, and the acceleration of the object. You can then use the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object.

3. What are the common mistakes when finding the tension in a Newton's law problem?

One common mistake is not taking into account the angle of the rope, which can affect the magnitude of the tension. Another mistake is using the wrong units or not converting units correctly. It is also important to check for any external forces acting on the object that may affect the tension.

4. Can tension be negative in a Newton's law problem?

Yes, tension can be negative in a Newton's law problem. This can occur when there is a downward force acting on the object, causing the tension to be in the opposite direction. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the forces when calculating tension.

5. How can I check if my calculation for tension in a Newton's law problem is correct?

To check if your calculation for tension is correct, you can use the equation T = mg + ma and substitute in the values you have calculated. You can also double check your units and make sure they are consistent. It is also helpful to compare your answer to the expected range of values for tension in similar problems.