Having toruble remembering series and sequences in algebra

In summary, the formulas for finding the sum of an arithmetic series and the sum of the n terms of an arithmetic sequence can be derived and applied to solve problems. It is also recommended to study from a textbook for a better understanding of the concepts and formulas.
touma
I am trying to remember the formulas and ways to do this but I am have much trouble! Please help! Thank you!
1) Find the sum of the first 50 terms 1, 8, 15,... using the sum of an arithmetic series formula.

2) Find the sum of the n terms of the arithmetic sequence a1 = 7, a12 = 29, n = 12.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Look in your textbook first. If you still can't figure it out, come back here and tell us why. We're not going to do your homework for you.

- Warren

I'm not asking anyone to do my homework for me! I did the rest of my sheet already but I can't figure out these two! My class doesn't have a textbook

touma said:
I am trying to remember the formulas and ways to do this but I am have much trouble! Please help! Thank you!
1) Find the sum of the first 50 terms 1, 8, 15,... using the sum of an arithmetic series formula.

2) Find the sum of the n terms of the arithmetic sequence a1 = 7, a12 = 29, n = 12.

Learn the derivations of the formulas if you have trouble remembering the formulas. This could help you to remember the formulas. For arithmetic series & sequences, even just remembering the formulas should not be very difficult. Study more; do more exercises.

I just don't have the formulas. I looked at online tutorals and I got confused by everything. I think the formula for the first is Sn = n/2 (a1 + an) but i am not sure. I have no idea for the second one

touma said:
I just don't have the formulas. I looked at online tutorals and I got confused by everything. I think the formula for the first is Sn = n/2 (a1 + an) but i am not sure. I have no idea for the second one
Buy a used book; they are cheap. No more than $2 at a public library used book depository can yield any of a good set of intermediate or college algebra textbooks. These books are very easy to find in used supplies. If the book is 20 or 30 or more years old, the concepts and skills will be the same; so will the formulas, all of which will usually be derived for you in the book.

You wouldn't happen to have any examples of arithmetic series?

Emmanuel114 said:
You wouldn't happen to have any examples of arithmetic series?

Just any example?

Like this:
1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10=55=(10)(10+1)/2

In general an arithmetic series arises by adding together the terms in an arithmetic sequence.

In an arithmetic sequence we start with an initial term let's call it a, and then to get the next term we add a number (I think usually called the common difference, I'm not positive though) let's call it d.

So we have a sequence of numbers a0,a1,a2...an

So that
a0=a
And
an=a+n*d

To clarify why d is usually called a common difference consider the difference

an-an-1=(a+n*d)-(a+(n-1)*d)=(a-a)+(n*d-(n-1)*d)=d.

Then from this sequence we get an arithmetic series by adding up all of these terms, so the series is a0+a1+a2+...+an.

It would be a good excercise to derive the sum of a general arithmetic series from the sum of the first n natural numbers:

1+2+3+...+n=n(n+1)/2

Last edited:

Related to Having toruble remembering series and sequences in algebra

1. Why do I struggle with remembering series and sequences in algebra?

There could be a few reasons why you struggle with remembering series and sequences in algebra. It could be that you have not fully understood the underlying concepts or you may need more practice with the material. It could also be related to a learning style that is not conducive to memorization, in which case finding alternative methods of learning could be helpful.

2. How can I improve my ability to remember series and sequences in algebra?

One way to improve your ability to remember series and sequences in algebra is to practice regularly. This could involve solving practice problems, creating flashcards, or even teaching the material to someone else. Additionally, breaking down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks and using mnemonic devices can also be helpful.

3. Are there any specific strategies that can help with remembering series and sequences in algebra?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help with remembering series and sequences in algebra. These include creating visual aids such as diagrams or charts, making connections between different concepts, and using repetition to reinforce the material. It can also be helpful to relate the material to real-life situations or examples.

4. What should I do if I continue to struggle with remembering series and sequences in algebra?

If you continue to struggle with remembering series and sequences in algebra, it may be beneficial to seek help from a tutor or teacher. They can provide additional explanations and practice problems tailored to your learning style. It may also be helpful to review any previous material that may be necessary for understanding the current material.

5. Are there any online resources that can assist with remembering series and sequences in algebra?

Yes, there are many online resources available to assist with remembering series and sequences in algebra. These can include practice problems, videos, and interactive tutorials. Some popular websites for algebra help include Khan Academy, MathisFun, and Purplemath.