Having problems with PMF, CDF and PMF.

• Thread starter Peon666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cdf
In summary: The PMF should be shown as a step function (a horizontal line with jumps at each x-value), while the PDF should be shown as a continuous curve (no jumps). This may be a simplification in your book, but it is incorrect. In summary, The Cumulative Distribution Function (CDF) is used to calculate cumulative probability for all random variables, while the Probability Mass Function (PMF) and Probability Distribution Function (PDF) are used to calculate individual probabilities for discrete and continuous random variables, respectively. The PMF is represented as a step function and the PDF is represented as a continuous curve, while the CDF is denoted with a capital letter and can be calculated from either the PMF or
Peon666
I'm having a course in Probability in undergrad EE and I'm having too much difficuly understanding the concepts.

Would anyone explain to me, in SIMPLEST and DETAILED words the difference between these three i.e Cumulative Distribution Function (CDF), Probability Mass Function (PMF) and Probability Distribution Function (PDF)? I'd be highly obliged.

Physics news on Phys.org
Every random variable, continuous or discrete (also mixed, if you discuss those) has a CDF. It allows you to calculate cumulative probability , which have the form

[tex]
\Pr(X \le a)
[/tex]

for numbers [tex] a [/tex]. We typically use upper-case letters as names for CDFS, so

[tex]
F(a) = \Pr(X \le a)
[/tex]

A continuous random variable has a probability density function. This is a function having the following properties.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
f(x) & \ge 0\\
\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) \, dx & = 1
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Density functions do not yield probability themselves, but there is a link between the density function and the cdf:

[tex]
F(x) = \int_{-\infty}^a f(x) \, dx
[/tex]

Finally, some random variables are discrete (integer valued, for example), and it is possible to calculate values like this:

[tex]
\Pr(X = a)
[/tex]

(note the equal sign). The probability mass function is the function that gives these:

[tex]
\Pr(X = a) = f(a)
[/tex]

For discrete random variables the link between the CDF and the mass function is

[tex]
\Pr(X \le a) = \sum_{x_i \le a} f(x_i)
[/tex]

statdad said:
A continuous random variable has a probability density function. This is a function having the following properties.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
f(x) & \ge 0\\
\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) \, dx & = 1
\end{align*}
[/tex]

There is one other property:

[tex]P(a < X < b) = \int_a^b f(x)dx = F(b) - F(a)[/tex]

where a and b are constants.

statdad said:
Density functions do not yield probability themselves...

Yes they do. The probability is simply the area under curve as given above.

CS

Density functions do not yield probability by themselves. As you pointed out, they need to be integrated to find probability. The values a density function itself returns is the ordinate on a graph, not a probability. That is a point we stress in introductory stat (math/stat) courses.
The cumulative distribution function yields probability.

statdad said:
Density functions do not yield probability by themselves. As you pointed out, they need to be integrated to find probability. The values a density function itself returns is the ordinate on a graph, not a probability. That is a point we stress in introductory stat (math/stat) courses.
The cumulative distribution function yields probability.

Good point, I missed the "themselves" part.

CS

Upon rereading my response seems harsh, and I apologize. But if I had $1 for every time a student has confused a density with a cdf, and tried to use a value of f(x) as a probability, I would be able afford a drink or two (and possibly forget that the student missed a fundamental point ) :0-

statdad said:
Upon rereading my response seems harsh, and I apologize. But if I had $1 for every time a student has confused a density with a cdf, and tried to use a value of f(x) as a probability, I would be able afford a drink or two (and possibly forget that the student missed a fundamental point ) :0-

I didn't think it seemed harsh at all. You merely clarified your original statement such that your point was received. The first time it just seemed to me as if you were implying that a PDF is unable to provide a probability (even with integration). :smile:

CS

I'm having an issue with this too. What is the difference between PMF and CDF of a discrete function?

The PMF (Probability Mass Function) can be thought of as assigning probability to individual values of the random variable: that is, the PMF gives

[tex]
P(X = x)
[/tex]

The CDF (Cumulative Distribution Function) gives cumulative probabilities: That is, gives

[tex]
P(X \le x)
[/tex]

statdad said:
The PMF (Probability Mass Function) can be thought of as assigning probability to individual values of the random variable: that is, the PMF gives

[tex]
P(X = x)
[/tex]

The CDF (Cumulative Distribution Function) gives cumulative probabilities: That is, gives

[tex]
P(X \le x)
[/tex]

Ahh I'm so sorry! I actually understood the relationship between pmf and cdf. What I meant to ask was what is the difference between the pmf and pdf!

Usually in the undergraduate level pmf associated with a discrete random variable and pdf is with continuous variable. But both can be used interchangeably ( I think ).

The pmf (mass function) is used with discrete random variables to show individual probabilities as shown before. a pdf is used with (what are known in introductory texts as) continuous distributions. as mentioned above, pdfs do not themselves give probability, their integrals do.

for both discrete and continuous distributions it is typically the case that the cumulative distribution function is indicated with a capital (uppercase) letter. So, for a discrete distribution

[tex]
F(x) = P(X \le x) = \sum_{t \le x} f(t)
[/tex]

while for a continuous distribution

[tex]
F(x) = P(X \le x) = \int_{-\infty}^x f(t)\, dt
[/tex]

Thanks for the replies! Does this mean that it is technically incorrect for my book to draw the pmf as impulses instead of just regular values (stem plot)

no - I assume that by impulses you mean a graph with vertical lines rising from each x-value. the heights of those lines should correspond to the probability attached to x.

statdad said:
no - I assume that by impulses you mean a graph with vertical lines rising from each x-value. the heights of those lines should correspond to the probability attached to x.

No, I actually meant impulses. Arrows with a values above them, (no width but still have area). Also when I go to wikipedia they use lines (stems) instead of impulses (arrows) so I am guessing my book might have incorrectly used those.

So I am guessing that a pmf uses stems, but a pdf shouold uses impulses?

Rib5 said:
Arrows with a values above them, (no width but still have area).

These would be representing Dirac delta functions, a neat way of describing density of a point mass.

Related to Having problems with PMF, CDF and PMF.

1. What is PMF?

PMF stands for Probability Mass Function. It is a function that gives the probability of a discrete random variable taking on a specific value. It is usually denoted as P(X = x), where X is the random variable and x is the specific value.

2. What is CDF?

CDF stands for Cumulative Distribution Function. It is a function that gives the probability that a random variable is less than or equal to a certain value. It is usually denoted as F(x) = P(X ≤ x).

3. What is the difference between PMF and CDF?

The main difference between PMF and CDF is that PMF gives the probability of a random variable taking on a specific value, while CDF gives the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to a certain value.

4. How do I calculate PMF and CDF?

To calculate PMF, you need to first find the probability of each possible value of the random variable and then assign it to that value. To calculate CDF, you need to sum up the probabilities of all values less than or equal to the given value.

5. Why am I having trouble with PMF, CDF, and PMF?

PMF, CDF, and PMF can be confusing for some people because they involve complex mathematical concepts and formulas. It is important to have a strong understanding of probability and random variables to fully grasp these concepts. It can also be helpful to practice and seek assistance from a tutor or classmate if needed.