Having problem in crossproduct, dotproduct.

• Thread starter danong
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with crossproduct and dotproduct in the context of a physics equation involving rigid body collision reaction and angular momentum. The equation is originally written as L = p x r = I (w2 - w1), with p = mv as the impact of the collision, w1 and w2 as angular velocity, and r as the vector from the center of the body to the collision point. The speaker is wondering if the equation should be reformed to p * n x r, where n is the reflect/normal vector at the collision point. They also mention some confusion about whether to take the dotproduct or crossproduct, but eventually figure out the correct solution.
danong
[SOLVED] Having problem in crossproduct, dotproduct.

Sorry, i have a lil problem in solving for some math in physics equation.
I'm doing simulation of rigid body collision reaction,
and i applied the angular momentum,
which is L = p x r = I ( w2 - w1);
where p = mv is the impact of the collision,
w1,w2 is the angular velocity.
r be the vector from the center of body to the collision point.

I'm wondering if the eq is p x r,
in a 2D system, the third coordinate system is ignored.
and in some circumstances,
i let the equation to be reformed into something like p * n x r,
where n is the reflect/normal vector at the collision point.
since p x r is actually the cross-product,
but some books are telling me to take dotproduct of it,

i'm wondering and hoping to seek for help.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
L=p x r= pr sin (a), where a is the smaller angle between p and r. The resultant vector L requires and resides in a third dimension by definition. The angular velocity omega (w), parallel to L, also lies in this third dimension.

Given p (momentum) and r (momentum arm), you do not find the angular momentum by taking their "dot product."

What two-dimensional system did you have in mind?

bleessh i just found that i got it figured, just it skipped few steps n i did proved it, not actually dotproduct of them, but cross of them ^^

Related to Having problem in crossproduct, dotproduct.

1. What is the difference between cross product and dot product?

The cross product of two vectors produces a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. On the other hand, the dot product of two vectors produces a scalar value that represents the magnitude of one vector projected onto the other.

2. How do I calculate the cross product and dot product?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you can use the formula:
A × B = (a2b3 - a3b2, a3b1 - a1b3, a1b2 - a2b1)
To calculate the dot product of two vectors, you can use the formula:
A · B = a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3

3. What are some real-world applications of cross product and dot product?

Cross product is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate torque, angular momentum, and magnetic fields. Dot product is used in mechanics to calculate work, power, and force applied in a certain direction.

4. Can I use cross product and dot product in higher dimensions?

Yes, cross product and dot product can be extended to higher dimensions. In three-dimensional space, cross product is defined for vectors with three components, while dot product is defined for vectors with any number of components.

5. What happens when the cross product or dot product of two vectors is equal to zero?

If the cross product of two vectors is equal to zero, it means that the two vectors are parallel or one of the vectors has a magnitude of zero. If the dot product of two vectors is equal to zero, it means that the two vectors are perpendicular to each other.