Having big problem with integration work (1st year tertiary level)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integrals of \int x^2 \sqrt{x-5}dx and \intsin^7xcos^3xdx. The participants use substitution and reduction equations to solve the integrals, with one participant using a helpful hint to simplify the process.
capt. crunch
I am currently working on revision and the following question came up:
Find the integral of:
[tex]\int[/tex] x^2 [tex]\sqrt{x-5}[/tex]dx

now the way I went about solving this was to let u = x-5 and du = dx so that for the first step i got:
[tex]\int[/tex] x^2 U^1/2 du. I felt wrong right from the get go and had a look at the worked solution and they came up with:
Let u =[tex]\sqrt{x-5}[/tex]
then they got
2[tex]\int[/tex]u^2 (U^2 +5)^2 du
I do not understand where this comes from?

EDIT i figured it out:
u = [tex]\sqrt{x-5}[/tex]
x= u^2+5 therefore x^2 = (u^2+5)^2
dx = 2U du

This gives me all the values who's origins i was unsure of.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for a 2nd question:
[tex]\int[/tex]sin^7xcos^3xdx

i worked it down to the following using reduction eqn and also substitution:
= - cos^4x/40 -1/10 sin^6xcos^4x - 3/40 sin^4xcos^4x - 1/20sin^2xcos^4x + c

should I simplify this further and where should i begin if i do?

welcome to pf!

hi capt. crunch! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

hint: cos3x = cosx - cosx sin2x :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi capt. crunch! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

hint: cos3x = cosx - cosx sin2x :wink:

Thanks, so if I use what you gave above, how do i treat the sin7x? i thought i had to reduce that with the reduction equations?

there won't be a sin7x :confused:

i got it... thanks dude you are a hero!

Related to Having big problem with integration work (1st year tertiary level)

What is integration work at the tertiary level?

Integration work at the tertiary level refers to the process of combining different knowledge, skills, and perspectives to gain a deeper understanding of a subject. It involves synthesizing information from various sources and applying it to real-world situations.

Why do students often struggle with integration work in their first year at the tertiary level?

Students may struggle with integration work in their first year at the tertiary level because it requires a higher level of critical thinking and analytical skills. They may also be adjusting to the new academic environment and the increased workload.

What are some strategies for successfully completing integration work at the tertiary level?

Some strategies for successfully completing integration work at the tertiary level include breaking down the task into smaller, manageable parts, using effective study techniques such as note-taking and summarizing, seeking help from professors or peers, and practicing self-care to manage stress and maintain focus.

How can students improve their integration skills?

Students can improve their integration skills by actively engaging in class discussions and activities, seeking out diverse perspectives, practicing critical thinking and analysis, and continuously reflecting on their learning process.

What resources are available for students struggling with integration work?

There are many resources available for students struggling with integration work, such as academic support services, writing centers, study groups, and online tutorials. It is also helpful to talk to professors or academic advisors for personalized guidance and support.