Having a hard time reasoning around XRF Spectra

In summary, a student is having trouble determining if a bi-metal foil is an alloy or a "sandwich" of two thin sheets of metal using XRF spectroscopy. They have identified the two metals as niobium and zirconium, but are unsure of the correct reasoning due to conflicting information on x-ray penetration depths. They are seeking guidance for their lab report, which is meant to be qualitative. Another student suggests looking at a lab script for a similar experiment involving X-ray diffraction.
rrendell
I recently performed an XRF spectroscopy on a metal foil in a materials lab for school and I;m having trouble reasoning out an answer, though it's probably an easy one. The idea behind the lab is, we are given a bi-metal foil, which is either an alloy or a "sandwich" of two thin sheets of metal. Based on one XRF reading on either side of the foil, and the two spectrum produced, we are supposed to determine if the foil is an alloy or "sandwich".

I've attached a copy of the graph I generated from the data with the two readings.

I've identified the two metals as niobium and zirconium, but I can't reason around whether it is an alloy or two thin sheets of each metal. I initially concluded it was an alloy because of the higher percentage of Nb in both readings, but after reading about the different x-ray penetration depths of different materials I have confused myself.

I was hoping someone could help direct me onto the correct path of reasoning so I can get this lab report done; I don't expect an answer, just some guidance. This XRF analysis is supposed to be purely qualitative.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• xrf.jpg
    xrf.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 488
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello!

I'm have to do a similar lab next week with a thin film.

In the attachment is the lab script which explains a lot about the discussion that has to be done in the report.

Maybe this can help you. Even if is not the exact same subject it is still X-ray difraction

Attachments

• XRD-thin films_14_05.pdf
    920.4 KB · Views: 614

Related to Having a hard time reasoning around XRF Spectra

1. What is XRF Spectra?

XRF Spectra stands for X-Ray Fluorescence Spectra. It is a technique used to analyze the elemental composition of a material by shining high-energy X-rays onto the sample, causing it to emit characteristic fluorescent X-rays. These X-rays are then measured and used to identify the elements present in the sample.

2. Why is it difficult to reason around XRF Spectra?

Reasoning around XRF Spectra can be challenging because it involves interpreting complex data and understanding the underlying physics behind the technique. The spectra can be affected by various factors such as sample preparation, instrument calibration, and matrix effects, which can make it difficult to accurately interpret the results.

3. How can I improve my understanding of XRF Spectra?

To improve your understanding of XRF Spectra, it is important to have a strong foundation in chemistry and physics. Familiarizing yourself with the principles of XRF and its applications can also be helpful. Additionally, hands-on experience with XRF instrumentation and analyzing spectra can greatly improve your understanding.

4. What are some common mistakes when interpreting XRF Spectra?

Some common mistakes when interpreting XRF Spectra include not properly calibrating the instrument, not accounting for matrix effects, and misidentifying peaks. It is important to carefully prepare the sample, properly calibrate the instrument, and have a good understanding of the spectral features of the elements present in the sample.

5. What are some limitations of XRF Spectra?

Some limitations of XRF Spectra include its inability to detect light elements (such as hydrogen and helium), its reliance on surface analysis which may not be representative of the entire sample, and its susceptibility to interference from other elements in the sample. It is important to consider these limitations when using XRF Spectra for analysis.