Have you read 'The Genome' by Matt Ridley? A physicist's take on genetics.

• Thread starter Alliance
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about the book "The Genome" by Matt Ridley. Despite the person preferring physics over biology, they found the book to be very good and easy to understand. The book focuses on genetics and is recommended by a physics teacher. Another member also shares their positive experience reading the book.
Alliance
Has any1 else read The Genome by Matt Ridley? Just 4t I'd start a post about it, as despite prefering Physics as a science to Biology, I read it and thought it was really good. It's all about genetics and although some knowledge of Biology is helpful (Im doing A level and I could understand pretty much all of it with a little concentration) you don't really have to know much as it's all explained in the first chapter. One of the reasons I don't usually like Biology as a science as opposed to Chemistry and Physics is because it is so general (if u understand what I mean, I can't define it really) but I find genetics interesting because it is more specific (ok now I am really not making sense). Anyway the book goes through all the chromosomes and talks about something interesting on each one. The book was recommended to me by my Physics teacher as well, so I am not the only Physicist that likes it :smile:.
Alliance xxx

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not particularly into reading on biological topics, but I made Ridley's book an impulse purchase last year at Barnes & Noble. It was enjoyable and enlightening to read. The members here who specialize in biology would find it too basic to do them any good, I reckon.

No, I have not read 'The Genome' by Matt Ridley, but it sounds like a fascinating read. As a biologist, I can understand your initial hesitation to delve into genetics, but I am glad to hear that the book was able to capture your interest and explain the concepts in an accessible way. It is always exciting to see different disciplines intersecting and collaborating, and I am glad that your physics teacher recommended the book to you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and recommendation. I will definitely add it to my reading list.

Related to Have you read 'The Genome' by Matt Ridley? A physicist's take on genetics.

1. What is the purpose of "Good Bio Book- The Genome"?

"Good Bio Book- The Genome" serves as an introduction to the genome, which is the complete set of genetic material in an organism. It explains the significance of the genome in biological research and our understanding of genetics.

2. Who is the target audience for "Good Bio Book- The Genome"?

The target audience for "Good Bio Book- The Genome" is anyone interested in genetics and biology, including students, researchers, and general readers who want to learn more about the role of the genome in our lives.

3. What topics are covered in "Good Bio Book- The Genome"?

"Good Bio Book- The Genome" covers a wide range of topics related to the genome, including its structure and function, genetic variation, gene expression, and the impact of the genome on health and disease.

4. Is "Good Bio Book- The Genome" based on current scientific research?

Yes, "Good Bio Book- The Genome" is based on the most up-to-date scientific research and includes information from recent studies and discoveries in the field of genetics.

5. How can "Good Bio Book- The Genome" be used as a resource?

"Good Bio Book- The Genome" can be used as a reference book for those studying genetics, as a supplementary text for biology courses, or as a general guide for anyone interested in learning more about the genome.