Have You Read 'A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates'?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Evgeny.Makarov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary, the conversation is about a book called "A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates" and how it can be read in any order and still make sense. The conversation also mentions that the book does not have an audiobook version and lacks an index, which is seen as a major flaw by some reviewers. There is also a discussion about reporting typographical errors in the book. Overall, most of the reviews for the book seem to be negative and criticize the book's content.
Evgeny.Makarov
Gold Member
MHB
Have you read a book called "A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates"? Once you’ve read it from start to finish, you can go back and read it in a different order, and it will make just as much sense as your original read!

This is just one of the reviews for the book on amazon.com. Here are some of the others.

While the printed version is good, I would have expected the publisher to have an audiobook version as well. A perfect companion for one's Ipod.

For a supposedly serious reference work the omission of an index is a major impediment. I hope this will be corrected in the next edition.

To whom do I write to report typographical errors? I noticed that the first "7" on the third line page 48 should be a "3".

In fact, I went through the first two pages of reviews, and all but a couple of them were of this sort. Really funny!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid this is just more publisher hype. Whosoever in their right mind considers deviates normal?

A comment on page 3 agrees with you: 'And those trying to uphold the standards of morality are sure to be shocked, SHOCKED at the 100,000 Deviates the book is claiming are "Normal"'.

Related to Have You Read 'A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates'?

1. What is "A Million Random Digits"?

"A Million Random Digits" is a book that contains a list of one million randomly generated numbers. It was first published in 1955 by the RAND Corporation and has since been used for various statistical and research purposes.

2. How were the numbers in "A Million Random Digits" generated?

The numbers in "A Million Random Digits" were generated using a specialized electronic machine called the Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment (ERNIE). This machine used noise from a neon gas discharge tube to generate truly random numbers.

3. Is "A Million Random Digits" truly random?

Yes, "A Million Random Digits" is considered to be truly random. The method used to generate the numbers, ERNIE, is known for producing highly unpredictable and unbiased results. The numbers have also been extensively tested and verified for randomness.

4. Can "A Million Random Digits" be used for statistical analysis?

Yes, "A Million Random Digits" has been used for statistical analysis in various fields such as cryptography, gambling, and computer simulations. It is commonly used as a source of random input for statistical experiments and simulations.

5. Is there any meaning or pattern in the numbers in "A Million Random Digits"?

No, there is no meaning or pattern in the numbers in "A Million Random Digits". They were generated purely by chance and have no inherent significance or structure. However, patterns or correlations may arise when the numbers are used in specific applications or analyses.