Has Meebo invaded a website you use?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Ah, never mind.In summary, some people are unhappy with the Meebo bar on websites, and it may be difficult to get rid of it. It may be helpful to let the website know that you object to the advertising tactic.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I use an older browser because it does what I want. It does not like Meebo, which is being added to more and more websites. Just rolling over the meebo bar shuts down my browser, so I don't even have the option of "hiding" it.

In looking for a solution, I found this article. Seems like I'm not the only unhappy Meebo victim. It appears that letting the offending website know that you object to this advertising tactic may be the only way to curtail this additional invasion of privacy. Anyone had any success disabling Meebo without downloading more software as is suggested by the article? The article has some tongue in cheek humor and language, so be advised.

How To Kill That Awful Meebo Bar Forever (Updated)

Have you noticed Meebo, that annoying bar on the bottom of some websites like Boston.com's Big Picture, Men's Fitness, and TVGuide.com? Of course you have. It spits up ads and nags you to share stuff on Facebook while you're just trying to read. It's a website add-on increasingly used by publishers who hate their readers.
Continued...

http://gizmodo.com/5904690/how-to-kill-that-awful-meebo-bar-forever

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the heads up Evo, haven't seen it yet, but I'll keep an eye open.

I don't have the problem you do, I can click it away. I didn't even know it had a name until now. I just considered it one more ad I have to click away in order to read the page I asked for. I don't really think I'm getting a subliminal message from the associated ad, but if I am, I'm associating the product with something odious am I not?

I use Firefox with Ghostery. I just tried visiting tvguide.com, and Ghostery's popup status indicator showed that it was blocking the Meebo Bar among a bunch of other things.

[added] Now I see that the article Evo linked to, describes Ghostery as a solution.

So far the only problem I've had with Ghostery is that my bank's website didn't let me log in (couldn't even get to the login page) until I told Ghostery to disable blocking while visiting that site.

jtbell said:
I use Firefox with Ghostery. I just tried visiting tvguide.com, and Ghostery's popup status indicator showed that it was blocking the Meebo Bar among a bunch of other things.
Do you think Ghostery will conflict with my beloved IE7? I wouldn't be so upset if I could just close it when I visit the website, but it completely shuts down all open browser windows, so it's more than a nuisance.

I don't know about IE7, I'm a Mac guy.

Egads. I just added ghostery to chrome and now pages load in a fraction of the time they used to. I owe you one.

jtbell said:
I use Firefox with Ghostery.
So ghostery does the same thing as Firefox's "Content" (pop-up, images, JavaScript) and "Privacy" (cookie blocking) setting but more efficiently?

I enjoy Firefox with "NoScript". That addon puts everything on lockdown. (Blocks it from running/downloading) It's only downside is that it puts EVERYTHING on lockdown! So when you first start to use it you have to right click the page and allow things. But I am 100% ok with that. I get 0 popups or anything like that when using it unless I specifically allow it.

Ghostery appears to be different.

Ghostery™ sees the invisible web - tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons. Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.

After showing you who's tracking you, Ghostery™ also gives you a chance to learn more about each company it identifies. How they describe themselves, a link to their privacy policies, and a sampling of pages where we've found them are just a click away.

Ghostery is your window into the invisible web – tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons that are included on web pages in order to get an idea of your online behavior.

Ghostery tracks over 1,000 trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.

http://www.ghostery.com/about

But the thread is about what Meebo is doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Egads. I just added ghostery to chrome and now pages load in a fraction of the time they used to. I owe you one.

Ghostery is what caused me to switch to Chrome. It slowed down Firefox for me; pages took forever to load. I switched to Chrome, and it no longer is a problem.

I'm glad I've never seen this Meebo bar. The thing I hate most about facebook is that it's everywhere, telling me to like something or share something. I don't even have a facebook! If I don't have something, I don't want it popping up in my face all the time, or tracking me for ad revenue. That's why I got ghostery in the first place. For the times ghostery doesn't work, I have adblockplus, and I just block every facebook logo that makes it through. It's quite nice. Anyway, that's why I'm glad ghostery blocks this Meebo bar. It's just another instance of facebook visual assault that I don't have to deal with.

Evo said:
But the thread is about what Meebo is doing.

Some good news and some bad news.

1. Meebo was recently bought by Google.
2. A week later, most of Meebo's products were discontinued.
3. Except for the Meebo bar.

Drakkith said:
I enjoy Firefox with "NoScript". That addon puts everything on lockdown. (Blocks it from running/downloading) It's only downside is that it puts EVERYTHING on lockdown! So when you first start to use it you have to right click the page and allow things. But I am 100% ok with that. I get 0 popups or anything like that when using it unless I specifically allow it.
Same here. I also have my computer set up to block advertisement sites so I don't even see the ads (it doesn't involve loading any software). I tried a page reported to have Meebo (sfgate.com) and it doesn't come up on my browser.

AlephZero said:
Some good news and some bad news.

1. Meebo was recently bought by Google.
2. A week later, most of Meebo's products were discontinued.
3. Except for the Meebo bar.

That is a shame. Meebo was great for talking to friends on messengers from web browser.

DragonPetter said:
That is a shame. Meebo was great for talking to friends on messengers from web browser.
That's what I used it for when it was still in BETA. Another sell out.

DragonPetter said:

I'm sure google has plans for this or do you think they bought it to dump the competition?

Ghostery is awesome! Not only has it now blocked the meebo bar, everything loads twice as fast because it has also blocked the Facebook, twitter, reddit, etc... links that I would have to sit and wait to download on most sites I use. It use to infuriate me waiting for these stupid links that I will never use. No, I don't want to link this or like it on facebook. No, I don't want to twitter about it. AAARRGH.

I think my blood pressure dropped several points since I added Ghostery. :approve:

Evo said:
No, I don't want to link this or like it on facebook. No, I don't want to twitter about it. AAARRGH.

I hate that so much. I consider it an invasion of privacy that facebook and others try to integrate themselves into everything I use outside of facebook. The little bit of convenience it might offer some happens to be intrusive to the rest.

Evo said:
Ghostery is awesome!
I was curious and clicked on the Ghostery download button thinking it would download an installer. But no. It tried to install itself directly. But Firefox blocked it. Goood boy.

I wonder what Greg thinks about us using Ghostery on his site. We're blocking his ContextWeb, Google Analytics, and VigLink.

Obviously you disable it for PF!

dlgoff said:
I was curious and clicked on the Ghostery download button thinking it would download an installer. But no. It tried to install itself directly. But Firefox blocked it. Goood boy.
To be fair, it does say "download now". Get ghostery, it's great.

What I do find rather hypocritical is that they have "Follow us on twitter" and "Like us on Facebook" posted.

Last edited:

Related to Has Meebo invaded a website you use?

1. What is Meebo and why is it showing up on the website I use?

Meebo is a social networking and instant messaging platform that allows users to connect with friends and family online. It may be showing up on the website you use because the website has integrated Meebo's features to enhance user communication and engagement.

2. Is Meebo invading my privacy by appearing on the website I use?

No, Meebo does not invade your privacy. It only appears on the websites that have chosen to integrate its features. Meebo does not collect any personal information without your consent.

3. Can I block Meebo from appearing on the website I use?

Yes, most websites that have integrated Meebo's features allow users to block or disable it from appearing. Look for the settings or options menu on the website to find the option to disable Meebo.

4. Does Meebo slow down the website I use?

In most cases, Meebo does not significantly impact the speed of the website you use. However, if the website has a lot of Meebo features and plugins, it may affect the loading time slightly.

5. Can I use Meebo on the website I use without an account?

Yes, you can still use Meebo's features on the website without creating an account. However, some features may require you to log in with your Meebo account or an existing social media account such as Facebook or Twitter.

Back