Has Anyone read "Physics For Future Presidents"?

• Thread starter Avner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the book is about how physics and chemistry are intertwined in politics and current issues. It is a good book for laypeople who want to understand these topics. However, the book may be dated and some inaccuracies may remain.
Avner
I met a physics professor at my college, who recommended this book to me for an easy read. If your interested in how knowledge of physics and chemistry are interwoven in politics and current issues, then you would like this book. I think I bought it for $3 on eBay.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it’s pretty good at explaining things for laypeople. However they should expand the title to include “and Future Cabinet Members”.

When I as in college we got to read the book Limits of Growth that talked about our limited resources and how we can dispose of our garbage in a respectful way rather than landfills or ocean dumps.

What was funny was the US was hit with a major gas crisis with stations running out of fuel and long lines the second week of the course. The crisis ended when our ten week course ended and we suspected our profs had something to do with it. :-)

Likes russ_watters
Yes, I am currently one of those laypeople, so great book for me! I will have to check out "Limits of Growth".

I read most of the book during cross-country flights about 10 years ago after a family member recommended it for the policy and political science discussions.

Last edited:
Avner said:
Yes, I am currently one of those laypeople, so great book for me! I will have to check out "Limits of Growth".

Its probably dated by now and probably no longer the authoritative source that it was. I think there were some major inaccuracies too.

Theres a wikipedia article on it, its controversies and its impact. It also was updated every five years or so by the Club of Rome. Its an interesting to see how folks tried to tear down its gloomy predictions for personal reasons that are now coming true although not exactly as the book predicted.

Limits to Growth publ 1972 report by Meadows, Meadows, Randers and Behrens.

Avner said:
Has Anyone read "Physics For Future Presidents"?
No, but I read "Energy for Future Presidents" last year and highly recommend it.

Likes Mary Conrads Sanburn
russ_watters said:
No, but I read "Energy for Future Presidents" last year and highly recommend it.
Just bought. Thanks.

Related to Has Anyone read "Physics For Future Presidents"?

1. What is "Physics For Future Presidents" about?

"Physics For Future Presidents" is a book written by Richard A. Muller that covers basic concepts in physics that are relevant to the decision-making of future presidents and other world leaders. It discusses topics such as energy, nuclear weapons, climate change, and space exploration.

2. Who is the author of "Physics For Future Presidents"?

The author of "Physics For Future Presidents" is Richard A. Muller, a physicist and professor at the University of California, Berkeley.

3. Is "Physics For Future Presidents" a difficult read?

While the book covers complex topics in physics, it is written in an accessible and engaging manner. It does not require a strong background in science to understand and enjoy.

4. What makes "Physics For Future Presidents" a valuable read?

"Physics For Future Presidents" provides important insights into the scientific principles behind major global issues and decisions that will affect the future of our planet. It is a valuable resource for anyone interested in understanding the role of physics in shaping our world.

5. Is "Physics For Future Presidents" a recent publication?

Yes, "Physics For Future Presidents" was first published in 2008 and has since been updated with new editions. It remains a relevant and timely read for anyone interested in the intersection of physics and politics.