Has anyone ever worked with phidgets?

• Thread starter scott_alexsk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 0/16/16 phidget for basic on and off control, as well as where to install the phidget java library and how to specify its location. The lack of clear examples and the ongoing construction of the examples section on the phidget website is also mentioned. Specific instructions for unzipping and compiling the library are provided.
scott_alexsk
Hi,

I am going to be use a 0/16/16 phidget for a 'seemingly' simple task which amounts to just turning off and on an output at different rates (duty cycle), for different amounts of time. Firstly I was curious where I should install the phidget java library, on my computer, b/c it is not mentioned anywhere clearly. Also, I have seen only a few examples of code, and the exact commands concerning this particular phidget are not that obvious. The section for examples with inputs and outputs on the actual phidget site is still under construction. Does anyone know where I might get some better examples, or know anything relating to phidgets that might be useful to know?

Thanks,
-Scott

Technology news on Phys.org
Hi Scott,

The digital outputs are documented in the product manual for the 0/16/16 (PN 1012)
http://www.phidgets.com/documentation/Phidgets/1012.pdf

Java does not specify where libraries are installed. You unzip the java library wherever you want, and specify it's location to the java interpreter when you run the program.

Chester

Thanks,

So how would I specify it? I am very new to programming.

-Scott

I recommend starting with a few 'hello worlds' before getting into using Phidgets.

Chester

No, I already have taken a very good course in java. I just need to know how to tell java where the library is, that is all I am asking.

If you unzip the JavaJNI zip file downloaded from Phidgets.com to some directory, you can unpack the library in the same directory with -

> jar xf Phidget21.jar

You can then compile one of the simple examples -
> javac ManagerExample.java
And execute it -
> java ManagerExample
Phidget21 - Version 2.1.2 - Built Sep 7 2007 12:55:53
Press any key to exit...
attachment of PhidgetInterfaceKit v824 #1000012 (attached)
detachment of PhidgetInterfaceKit v824 #1000012 (unattached)

Related to Has anyone ever worked with phidgets?

What are phidgets and what can they do?

Phidgets are electronic modules that can be connected to a computer to provide input and output functionality. They can perform a wide range of tasks, from gathering sensor data to controlling motors and lights.

How do phidgets work?

Phidgets use a combination of hardware and software components to communicate with a computer. The hardware component consists of sensors, actuators, and a microcontroller, while the software component includes drivers and libraries that allow the computer to interact with the phidget.

What are the advantages of using phidgets in scientific research?

Phidgets offer several advantages for scientific research, including ease of use, flexibility, and affordability. They can be easily programmed and integrated into existing systems, and they can be used for a variety of applications without the need for specialized equipment.

Are there any limitations to using phidgets in scientific research?

While phidgets offer many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. They may not be suitable for high-precision or high-speed applications, and they may not have the same level of accuracy and reliability as specialized equipment designed for specific research purposes.

Are there any safety considerations when working with phidgets?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when working with phidgets, just as you would with any electrical equipment. This may include using appropriate wiring and connectors, avoiding exposure to high voltages, and following proper handling and storage procedures.