Harmonic oscillator derivation of wave functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving explicit expressions for two wave functions in a harmonic oscillator problem. The speaker is stuck on part (iv) and has a second order differential equation that needs to be solved. They are advised to refer to quantum mechanics and mathematical methods texts for help with solving the equation.
jtaa
here is a link to the pdf file with my question and answershttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/2399196/harmonic%20osc.pdf

i'm not sure where to start, because i don't want to assume anything that i haven't been given.
i'm stuck on part (iv) where i have to derive explicit expressions for 2 wave functions.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, from your 2 expressions for [itex]H[/itex] you have

[tex]\left( \frac{1}{2}\hat{p}^2+\frac{1}{2}\hat{x}^2\right) \Psi_0(x)=\hbar\left(\hat{N}+\frac{1}{2} \right)\Psi_0(x) = \frac{\hbar}{2}\Psi_0(x)[/tex]

So, if you express [itex]\hat{p}^2[/itex] and [itex]\hat{x}^2[/itex] in the [itex]x[/itex]-basis, you will have a differential equation you can solve for [itex]\Psi_0(x)[/itex]

ok i get a second order diff equation that looks like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2399196/2orderdiff.png

but how do i solve that?

Last edited:
This is a topic covered in many quantum mechanics and mathematical methods texts. I'd suggest you start there.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and answers. I am happy to provide a response to your inquiry about the harmonic oscillator derivation of wave functions.

To begin, I would like to clarify that the harmonic oscillator is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, and it describes a system in which a particle is bound to a potential energy well and oscillates around an equilibrium point. This concept is important because it helps us understand the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms, molecules, and other particles.

In the provided PDF file, you have already derived the wave function for the harmonic oscillator, which is given by:

Ψ(x) = Aexp(-αx^2/2)Hn(√αx)

Where A is a normalization constant, α is a constant related to the spring constant of the harmonic oscillator, and Hn is the nth Hermite polynomial.

To derive explicit expressions for two wave functions, we can start by considering the first two Hermite polynomials, which are H0(x) = 1 and H1(x) = 2x. Substituting these values into the above equation, we can obtain the following two wave functions:

Ψ0(x) = Aexp(-αx^2/2) and Ψ1(x) = 2Aexp(-αx^2/2)x

These two wave functions represent the ground state and the first excited state of the harmonic oscillator, respectively.

Furthermore, we can also express the wave function in terms of the quantum number n, where n = 0, 1, 2, ... In this case, the wave function becomes:

Ψn(x) = Anexp(-αx^2/2)Hn(√αx)

where An is a normalization constant.

I hope this helps to clarify the derivation of explicit expressions for two wave functions of the harmonic oscillator. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Related to Harmonic oscillator derivation of wave functions

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system in which a particle or object experiences a restoring force proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This results in a periodic motion of the object around its equilibrium point.

How is a harmonic oscillator used to derive wave functions?

In quantum mechanics, the harmonic oscillator potential is often used as a model for studying the behavior of particles. By solving the Schrödinger equation with this potential, one can derive wave functions that describe the probability of finding a particle in a certain position and time.

What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is a mathematical equation that relates the wave function of a particle to its energy and potential energy.

What are the assumptions made in the harmonic oscillator derivation of wave functions?

The harmonic oscillator derivation of wave functions assumes that the particle is moving in a one-dimensional space, that the potential energy is quadratic, and that the system is in a stationary state (i.e. the energy of the system is constant over time).

What are some applications of the harmonic oscillator derivation of wave functions?

The harmonic oscillator derivation of wave functions has many applications in physics, including in the study of molecular vibrations, the behavior of atoms in a crystal lattice, and the modeling of electromagnetic waves. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering.