Harmonic function squared and mean value

In summary, the problem asks to prove that a harmonic function u in an open disk K with radius a satisfies the inequality |u(x,y)| \le \frac{1}{a-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\left( \frac{M}{\pi}\right)^{1/2} for all (x,y) in K, given that ∫_K[u(x,y)]^2 dxdy = M < ∞. The mean value theorem for multiple integrals can be used to provide bounds on the integrals, and by refining these inequalities with the fact that u is harmonic, the desired result can be proven.
arestes

Homework Statement

Let u be a harmonic function in the open disk K centered at the origin with radius a. and
[itex]∫_K[u(x,y)]^2 dxdy = M < ∞[/itex]. Prove that
[itex]|u(x,y)| \le \frac{1}{a-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\left( \frac{M}{\pi}\right)^{1/2}[/itex] for all (x,y) in K.

Homework Equations

Mean value property for harmonic functions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first thought this was easy and directly applied the mean property for harmonic functions, but of course, the square of a harmonic function is not harmonic (unless it's a constant).

I can see this problems begs for the mean value using a ball with radius [itex]a-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex] which would be entirely inside the disk K but I can't get around the fact that u squared is not harmonic. Help please

Attachments

• bolas.jpg
    bolas.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you integrating over the whole disk K (i.e. a double integral) or as a line integral around the boundary of K.

I integrated over the area of the smaller circle inside with radius [itex] r=a-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]. This is exactly what I did (I know it's wrong):

[itex] u^2(x,y)=\frac{\int_{B_r(x,y)} u^2(w, z)dwdz}{\pi r^2}\leq \frac{\int_K u^2(w, z)dwdz}{\pi r^2}=\frac{M}{\pi r^2}\\
|u(x,y)|\leq \sqrt{\frac{M}{\pi r^2}}[/itex]
But of course, this would work if u^2 were harmonic, which is seldom the case.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe applying the maximum principle and somehow get bounds...

Last edited:

Related to Harmonic function squared and mean value

1. What is a harmonic function squared?

A harmonic function squared is a mathematical function that satisfies the Laplace equation, which states that the sum of the second derivatives of a function is equal to zero. In other words, the function's value at any point is equal to the average of its values on the surrounding points.

2. How is harmonic function squared used in mathematics?

Harmonic function squared has many applications in mathematics, including in physics, engineering, and finance. It is used to model various phenomena, such as heat flow, electrical potential, and fluid dynamics. It also plays a role in the study of complex numbers and their properties.

3. What is the mean value property of harmonic function squared?

The mean value property of harmonic function squared states that the function's value at any point is equal to the average of its values on the surrounding points. This property is essential in understanding the behavior of harmonic functions and is often used to prove the uniqueness of solutions to certain mathematical problems.

4. Can harmonic function squared be negative?

Yes, harmonic function squared can be negative. The function itself is not restricted to positive values, and it can take on both positive and negative values depending on the specific function and its inputs. However, for a function to be considered harmonic, it must satisfy the Laplace equation, regardless of its values.

5. How is the mean value property of harmonic function squared related to the maximum principle?

The maximum principle states that the maximum and minimum values of a harmonic function squared occur on the boundary of its domain. This is closely related to the mean value property, as it implies that the function's value at any point is bounded by the maximum and minimum values on the boundary. This property is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of harmonic functions.