Happy Earth Day 2017: Activities to Care for Our Home

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2017 Earth
  • Featured
In summary, the conversation revolved around being a good steward of the Earth and the activities that can be done to contribute positively. Some suggestions included participating in a sister science march, picking up trash during a dog walk, and planting flowers. Other suggestions for Earth Day included taking a walk, avoiding activities that waste resources, such as mowing the lawn or using electrical appliances, and opting for eco-friendly alternatives. Despite facing challenges in fully avoiding wasteful activities, the individual expressed a willingness to continue making efforts towards being a good steward of the Earth.
Time to think about what you can personally do to be a good steward of our home Earth. What activities are you doing today? I was hoping I could attend a sister science march in my city, but alas I have a wedding to attend. Instead this morning I will pick up trash I find in my community during my dog walk. I will also be planting some flowers. Oh and patching some holes in my lawn with white clover. It's good for the bees!

Likes DennisN, OmCheeto and QuantumQuest
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Some other worthwhile things to do are:
- do take a walk
- don't mow the lawn, don't water the lawn
- don't do the wash and dry
- fast don't use the stove or microwave
- don't eat out
- don't drive anywhere
- don't turn on any electrical things, no TV, no radio, no computer, no internet...

I guess I'll just sit back and do nothing productive except read a book...

Happy Earth day.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Some other worthwhile things to do are: [...]
I did not know about Earth Day, so how did I do? Well...
- do take a walk - Completed
- don't mow the lawn, don't water the lawn - Completed
- don't do the wash and dry - Completed
- fast don't use the stove or microwave - Failed
- don't eat out - Failed
- don't drive anywhere - Completed
- don't turn on any electrical things, no TV, no radio, no computer, no internet... - Failed miserably.
4/7, maybe I'm getting there...

Yeah, apart from the lawn issues, you seem OK.

Related to Happy Earth Day 2017: Activities to Care for Our Home

What is Earth Day and why do we celebrate it?

Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on April 22nd to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It was first celebrated in 1970 and is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network. Earth Day is a reminder for all of us to take action towards preserving and protecting our planet.

What are some activities I can do to celebrate and care for Earth Day?

There are many ways to celebrate and care for Earth Day. Some ideas include participating in a community clean-up, planting trees or flowers, conserving energy and water, using public transportation or biking instead of driving, and educating others about the importance of environmental protection.

How can I involve my children in activities for Earth Day?

There are plenty of ways to involve children in Earth Day activities. You can take them on a nature walk, have them help with a clean-up project, plant a garden together, or teach them about recycling and conservation. It's important to instill a love and respect for the environment in children at a young age.

Why is it important to care for our planet?

Caring for our planet is important for many reasons. The Earth provides us with resources and a home, and it's our responsibility to ensure its health and sustainability for future generations. By taking care of our planet, we can also improve our own health and well-being.

What can I do beyond Earth Day to make a positive impact on the environment?

There are many ways to make a positive impact on the environment beyond Earth Day. Some examples include reducing your carbon footprint, supporting companies and products that prioritize sustainability, advocating for environmental policies, and volunteering with organizations that work towards environmental protection.