Hanging Point Charge Homework: Find q with E, m, & angle

In summary, an electric field of 100,000 N/C causes the 5.0 g point charge to hang at a 20 degree angle.
danvazb

Homework Statement

This may be simple, but I don't seem to get the right answer:

An electric field \vec{E}=100,000\hat\imath\;{\rm N}/{\rm C} causes the 5.0 {\rm g} point charge in the figure (Intro 1 figure) to hang at a 20^\circ angle.

E = 100,000 N/C, point charge weighs 5 g, hangs at 20 deg angle.

Homework Equations

vec{F} = q vec{E}

The Attempt at a Solution

In my model, I have the point charge hanging to the right of the normal at an angle of 20 deg. I draw a line for weight and one for the force on the charge, pointing right, away from the field.

I figure I have to find the component forces perpendicular for the field and write my equation as follows, to indicate equilibrium.

mg sin 20 deg = F sin 20 ,

9.8 m/s^2 (0.05 kg) = F ,

F = .49 N ;

Now I use the other formula to figure q:

E = q F

100,000 N/C = q (.49 N)

q = 4.9 nC

The answer is q = 180 nC

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Force is in the direction of the electric field. Mg and Eq are perpendicular to each other. If T is the tension in the string, resolve it into two components . One equals mg and other equals Eq for equilibrium. Then solve for q.

Also, you have converted from grams to kilograms incorrectly, thus throwing off your Fg (Force of Gravity).
Once you have Fg, remember that T's y-component is equal and opposite that of Fg.
Draw your triangle and notice what side of the triangle you are wanting (you should be using cosine). By Pythagorean theorem, you can find the x-component of T. Set your total Forces_x equal to Eq and solve for q.

Also, through your calculations you will be getting a lot of decimal answers. Be sure to keep around 6 or 7 decimal places on these. Otherwise, your final calculation will likely be quite off.

Related to Hanging Point Charge Homework: Find q with E, m, & angle

1. What is a hanging point charge?

A hanging point charge is a charged particle, such as an electron, that is suspended by a string or wire in an electric field. The charge experiences a force due to the electric field, causing it to hang at a certain angle.

2. How do you find the charge (q) using only the electric field (E), mass (m), and angle (θ)?

The charge can be found using the equation q = (mg)/(Esinθ). This equation takes into account the force of gravity on the charged particle as well as the force due to the electric field.

3. What are the units for the variables in the equation to find q?

The electric field (E) is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C), mass (m) is measured in units of kilograms (kg), and angle (θ) is measured in radians (rad). The resulting charge (q) will be in units of coulombs (C).

4. Can this equation be used for any type of charge?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of charge, as long as the charge is small enough to be considered a point charge and the electric field is uniform.

5. What is the significance of finding the charge using this equation?

Finding the charge using this equation allows scientists to determine the magnitude of the electric field at a specific point in space. It is also useful in studying the behavior of charged particles in electric fields and can help in experiments and research related to electricity and magnetism.