Handwriting recognition for maths

• MHB
  • Thread starter cmml100
  • Start date
In summary, Mandy is a university student seeking opinions on whether a freely available handwriting recognition technology for mathematics would be beneficial for online communication. She has prepared a short survey and is wondering if it would be okay to post the link on the forum. She is also open to suggestions for similar existing technologies and has a budget for trying out new ones. There is a mention of a touchscreen version for taking notes on a tablet, but it has not been found yet. The conversation also touches on the importance of saving un-rendered files in case of incorrect symbols and the potential benefit for disabled students.
cmml100
Hi,

My name is Mandy and I am very new to this forum. I am a university student who is debating whether a freely available handwriting recognition technology for mathematics expression can make life a lot easier for those who want to communicate mathematics on-line. I have prepared a survey and wondered if it would be objectionable to post the link up here to ask for your opinions. The survey is fairly short and basically only asks for information such as do you use MS Word Maths editor, Latex etc. It should take only a few minutes.

Click here to take the survey: https://www.isurvey.soton.ac.uk/5561

I would be really grateful for the help,
Mandy (Happy)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cmml100 said:
Hi,

My name is Mandy and I am very new to this forum. I am a university student who is debating whether a freely available handwriting recognition technology for mathematics expression can make life a lot easier for those who want to communicate mathematics on-line. I have prepared a survey and wondered if it would be objectionable to post the link up here to ask for your opinions. The survey is fairly short and basically only asks for information such as do you use MS Word Maths editor, Latex etc. It should take only a few minutes.

Click here to take the survey: https://www.isurvey.soton.ac.uk/5561

I would be really grateful for the help,
Mandy (Happy)

It depends if it works or not...

I would like to say that I think it would be wonderful if you got the touchscreen version working so that I could take notes on a tablet. That would be very convenient! (Although, perhaps a thing exists? I have maybe heard tale of it on MathOverflow.)

Last edited:
Swlabr said:
perhaps a thing exists? I have maybe heard tale of it on MathOverflow.)

that would be nice. but I have not been able to locate one so far. At the moment, I know of a hand full of desktop based applications. Hugely expansive and not really catering for students. I am looking for something that allows students to just concentrate on the mathematics as if on pen and paper, then with some simple means send it off for checking or discussion. Of course, it will have to assume legible handwriting. But then, that's by the by, even when sitting next to a teacher side by side, your handwriting needs to be somewhat legible for discussions to take place. I just find the whole process of having to format everything too much of a distraction from the mathematics itself. or else, you work things out by hand and then having to type it up is such a pain.

Yes, if you know of anything, please send it my way. My uni has a nice budget for trying things out. especially if I argue that it might be good for disabled students... [sorry about the politics ... (Wink)]

cmml100 said:
that would be nice. but I have not been able to locate one so far. At the moment, I know of a hand full of desktop based applications. Hugely expansive and not really catering for students. I am looking for something that allows students to just concentrate on the mathematics as if on pen and paper, then with some simple means send it off for checking or discussion. Of course, it will have to assume legible handwriting. But then, that's by the by, even when sitting next to a teacher side by side, your handwriting needs to be somewhat legible for discussions to take place. I just find the whole process of having to format everything too much of a distraction from the mathematics itself. or else, you work things out by hand and then having to type it up is such a pain.

Yes, if you know of anything, please send it my way. My uni has a nice budget for trying things out. especially if I argue that it might be good for disabled students... [sorry about the politics ... (Wink)]

This is the thread I was thinking of.

I think it would be important to save the un-rendered files also, incase of an incorrectly-rendered symbol and you're not sure what it is meant to be...and that is all my ideas...good luck!

Swlabr said:
I think it would be important to save the un-rendered files also, incase of an incorrectly-rendered symbol and you're not sure what it is meant to be...and that is all my ideas...good luck!
that is exactly what I was thinking of. :D

Related to Handwriting recognition for maths

What is handwriting recognition for maths?

Handwriting recognition for maths is a technology that allows computers to interpret and recognize handwritten mathematical symbols and equations. It is used to convert handwritten mathematics into digital format for easier processing and manipulation.

How does handwriting recognition for maths work?

Handwriting recognition for maths uses a combination of algorithms and machine learning techniques to analyze and interpret handwritten mathematical symbols. The software compares the inputted handwriting with a database of known symbols and equations to identify and recognize the handwritten characters and their corresponding mathematical meaning.

What are the benefits of using handwriting recognition for maths?

Handwriting recognition for maths has several benefits, including saving time and effort in manually typing out mathematical equations, reducing errors and mistakes, and making it easier to share and collaborate on handwritten mathematical notes and documents.

What are the limitations of handwriting recognition for maths?

Handwriting recognition for maths can be limited by the quality of handwriting, as messy or illegible handwriting may result in incorrect recognition. It may also struggle with recognizing complex equations or symbols that are not commonly used.

Is handwriting recognition for maths accurate?

The accuracy of handwriting recognition for maths depends on various factors, such as the quality of handwriting and the complexity of the equations or symbols being recognized. Generally, the technology has a high accuracy rate, but it may still make mistakes, so it is important to double-check the recognized equations for any errors.