Handling Penetration in Physics Demo with Cubes

• Thread starter bkenwright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Penetration
In summary: The instructor is looking for a way to handle penetration on a general scale. For example, if an object is bouncing on a plane and has a large time step, it may penetrate the plane as it has a small error in its position. The instructor suggests a method of storing values and updating them half way through the simulation using the current time step. This would allow for the object to penetrate the plane only if it is close to the surface.
bkenwright
Hi all,
I'm currently trying to write a simple physics demo with cubes, and am looking for the best way to handle penetration.

One method I was looking at is to back-track the collision detection till we find the point of intersection within some limit.. i.e.

collision at dt, so we step back dt/2 again and again till we have a hit within some limit...the only problem I'm having is...what if you have an object hitting the ground at dt of 0...doen's this mean our time step value is 0?...so the object increment is 0...hmmm.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanx

Ben

=)

Physics news on Phys.org
A comprehensible description would be just as nice.

What kind of cubes? Polynomial?

What is penetrating what?

Is dt a differential or measurement?

Etc.

What is the problem as presented by the instructor?

Well the case I'm trying to deal with is penetration on a general scale. For example, let's say you have a cube bouncing on a plane, and you have large time steps...and you use eulers integration...and just do each vertex point being below the plane to detect a collision.

Now, because the timesteps are large enough, for each time step when a collision is detected, there will be a small error where the cube penetrates the plane.

To solve this, I could back track the simulation to where the collision detection is just on the surface...ie.

store values
update dt (integrate)
while (penetrating)
{
restore values
dt = dt/2
update dt (use half dt)
}

But using this method, if the object is really close to the surface...then for any timestep greater than 0 its going to penetrate the surface due to gravity...so this will result in the above method reduce dt to almost 0...and hence its updates will fail :-/

Thanx for any help on this.

Ben

:)

Related to Handling Penetration in Physics Demo with Cubes

1. How does the cube penetrate through the surface without breaking?

The cube is able to penetrate through the surface because of the concept of intermolecular forces. These forces allow the particles of the cube to push through the particles of the surface without breaking the bonds between them.

2. What is the significance of the cubes being made of different materials?

The different materials of the cubes allow for a demonstration of the varying degrees of intermolecular forces. For example, a cube made of a stronger material will be able to penetrate through the surface more easily than a cube made of a weaker material.

3. How does the speed of the penetration affect the outcome of the demo?

The speed of the penetration can affect the outcome of the demo because it can change the amount of force applied to the surface. If the cube is pushed too quickly, it may not have enough time to properly penetrate the surface. If it is pushed too slowly, it may not have enough force to penetrate at all.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when performing this demo?

It is important to wear safety goggles and gloves when handling the cubes, as they may have sharp edges. Also, be sure to perform the demo on a sturdy and stable surface to prevent any accidents.

5. Can this demo be used to explain other scientific concepts?

Yes, this demo can also be used to demonstrate concepts such as friction, surface tension, and the properties of different materials. It can also be used to introduce students to the concept of intermolecular forces and how they affect the behavior of matter.