Hamiltonian matrix and eigenvalues

In summary, the general spin matrix can be written as Sn(hat) = hbar/2 [cosθ e-i∅sinθ] [[ei∅sinθ cosθ], giving 2 eigenvectors, I up arrow> = [cos (θ/2)] [ei∅sin(θ/2)] and I down arrow> = [-e-i∅sin(θ/2)] [cos (θ/2)], which can be used to find the eigenvectors for a magnetic field along the z-axis. The normalization factor of 1/√2 comes from cos(pi/4) = sin(pi/4) = 1/sqrt(2).
Roodles01
OK. An example I have has me stumped temporarily. I'm tired.

General spin matrix can be written as

Sn(hat) = hbar/2 [cosθ e-i∅sinθ]
...... [[ei∅sinθ cosθ]

giving 2 eigenvectors (note these are column matrices)

I up arrow > = [cos (θ/2)]
.....[ei∅sin(θ/2)]

Idown arrow> = [-e-i∅sin(θ/2)]
......[cos (θ/2)]

Using these eigenvectors and assuming that the magnetic field in question (from Hamiltonian matrix generalised to deal with any angle) is along the z-axis, then θ= ∏/2 and ∅= 0 then eigenvectors are;
Ispin up> = 1/√2 [1]
.......[1]
and

Ispin down> = 1/√2 [-1]
......[ 1]

Could someone help with where the 1/√2 bit came in.

I'm liable to not see the wood for the trees sometimes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Roodles01 said:
Could someone help with where the 1/√2 bit came in.

It's just the normalization factor and it comes from cos(pi/4) = sin(pi/4) = 1/sqrt(2)

Related to Hamiltonian matrix and eigenvalues

1. What is a Hamiltonian matrix?

A Hamiltonian matrix is a square matrix that represents the energy of a physical system with multiple degrees of freedom. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy states of a particle or system.

2. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are used to solve for the energy states of a Hamiltonian matrix. Eigenvectors are a set of vectors that do not change direction when multiplied by the matrix. Eigenvalues are the corresponding scalar values that represent the amount by which the eigenvectors are stretched or compressed by the matrix.

3. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors related to the Hamiltonian matrix?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are used to diagonalize the Hamiltonian matrix, which means to transform it into a simpler form that is easier to solve. The eigenvalues represent the energy levels of the system, while the eigenvectors represent the corresponding states of the system.

4. How are Hamiltonian matrices used in physics?

Hamiltonian matrices are used in physics to solve for the energy states of a physical system, such as a particle or a molecule. They are also used to study the dynamics of a system and to make predictions about its behavior.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Hamiltonian matrices?

Yes, Hamiltonian matrices have many real-world applications, particularly in quantum mechanics and chemistry. They are used to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. They are also used in fields such as materials science, optics, and computer science.