Hamiltonian for a single particle

In summary, the Hamiltonian for a single particle under the influence of potential U varies for different coordinate systems. For Cartesian coordinates, the Hamiltonian is L=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{q}^2-U with p=m\dot{q}. For spherical coordinates, it is H=\frac{p_r^2}{2m}+\frac{p_{\phi}^2}{2mr^2}+\frac{p_{\theta}^2}{2mr^2\sin^2(\phi)}+U, and for cylindrical coordinates, it is T=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2+r^2\dot{\phi}^2+\dot
UrbanXrisis
I need to find the Hamiltonian for a single particle under the influence of potential U in different coordinates:

I have found the Hamiltonian for Cartesian coordinates fairly easily and would just like a check if it is:

[tex]L=\frac{1}{2} m \dot{q}^2 -U[/tex] with [tex]p=m \dot{q}[/tex]

which means:

[tex]H=\frac{p^2}{m}-\frac{p^2}{2m}+U[/tex]

I have tried spherical but I cannot implement theta, I tried it in two-d but do not know how to get the Lagrangian in using r,phi,and theta.

I know that: [tex] L = \frac{1}{2} m (\dot{r}^2+r^2 dot{\phi}^2) [/tex]

[tex]p_r=m \dot{r}[/tex] and [tex]p_{\phi}=mr^2 \phi[/tex]

So that this means: [tex] H = \frac{p_r ^2}{2m}+\frac{p_{\phi} ^2}{2 m r^2}+U[/tex]

how would i implement theta into this?And for cylindrical coordinates, i have this:

[tex] T=\frac{1}{2} m (\dot(r)^2+r^2 \dot{\phi}^2+\dot{z}^2) -U[/tex][tex]p_r=m \dot{r}[/tex]
[tex]p_{\phi}=mr^2 \phi[/tex]
[tex]p_{z}= zm[/tex]

so that [tex]H=\frac{p_{r} ^2}{2m}+\frac{p_{\phi} ^2}{2mr^2}+ \frac{p_{z} ^2}{2m}[/tex]

is this the right idea?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. The Hamiltonian for a single particle under the influence of potential U in different coordinates is indeed different for each coordinate system. For Cartesian coordinates, your Hamiltonian is correct. However, for spherical coordinates, the correct Hamiltonian is:

H = \frac{p_r^2}{2m} + \frac{p_{\phi}^2}{2mr^2} + \frac{p_{\theta}^2}{2mr^2 \sin^2(\phi)} + U

Here, p_{\theta} is the momentum conjugate to \theta. To derive this Hamiltonian, you can use the transformation equations:

p_r = m\dot{r}
p_{\phi} = mr^2\dot{\phi}
p_{\theta} = mr^2\sin^2(\phi)\dot{\theta}

For cylindrical coordinates, your Hamiltonian is also correct. However, it is important to note that the momentum conjugate to z should be p_z, not p_{z}. So the correct Hamiltonian is:

H = \frac{p_r^2}{2m} + \frac{p_{\phi}^2}{2mr^2} + \frac{p_z^2}{2m} + U

I hope this helps clarify the Hamiltonian for different coordinate systems. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

Related to Hamiltonian for a single particle

1. What is a Hamiltonian for a single particle?

A Hamiltonian for a single particle is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of a single particle in a given system. It takes into account both the particle's kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How is the Hamiltonian for a single particle different from the Hamiltonian for multiple particles?

The Hamiltonian for a single particle is a simplified version of the Hamiltonian for multiple particles, as it only takes into account the energy of one particle. The Hamiltonian for multiple particles includes the interactions between all particles in the system.

3. What factors affect the Hamiltonian for a single particle?

The Hamiltonian for a single particle is affected by the particle's mass, velocity, and the potential energy of the system. It can also be affected by external forces, such as electric or magnetic fields.

4. What is the role of the Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian is used to describe the time evolution of a quantum system. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. How is the Hamiltonian related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. The Hamiltonian is one of the key components of the Schrödinger equation, as it represents the energy of the system and is used to calculate the time evolution of the system.