Hamiltonian after transformation to interaction picture

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in calculating the Hamiltonian after transforming to the interaction picture. The tutorial by Sasura and Buzek is being followed, and the previous knowledge of the Hamiltonian for the j-th ion is given. The conversation then asks for an explanation of the steps to obtain the transformed Hamiltonian, with the recommendation to take advantage of commutativity as much as possible. The conversation concludes with gratitude for the helpful hint on c-number functions.
lutherblissett
Dear all,

I am encoutering some difficulties while calculating the Hamiltonian after the transformation to the interaction picture. I am following the tutorial by Sasura and Buzek:
https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0112041

Previous:
I already know that the Hamiltonian for the j-th ion is given by two terms:

[tex] \hat{H} = \hat{H}_{0j} + \hat{V}_j [/tex]

where the two terms are the free Hamiltonian and the interaction hamiltonian
[tex] \hat{H}_{0j} = \dfrac{1}{2} \hbar \omega_0 \sigma_{zj} + \nu \hat{a}^\dagger \hat{a} [/tex]
[tex] \hat{V}_j = -q_e\left [ \left (\mathbf{r}_{eg}\right )_j \hat{\sigma}_{+j} + \left (\mathbf{r}_{eg}\right )^*_j \hat{\sigma}_{-j} \right ] \cdot \dfrac{E_0 \varepsilon }{2} \left \{ e^{ -i \left [ \omega_L t - \eta_j \left ( \hat{a}^\dagger + \hat{a} \right ) + \phi_j \right ] } + \text{ h.c.} \right \} [/tex]

I don't understand how one can obtain the transformed Hamiltonian [itex] \hat{\mathcal{H}} = \hat{U}^\dagger_0 \hat{V} \hat{U}_0 [/itex] where [itex] \hat{U}_0 = exp \left \{ - \dfrac{i}{\hbar} \hat{H}_0 t \right \} [/itex].

Could someone explain me the steps to obtain it, please? I will be very grateful :D

thank you in advance

LB

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend taking as much advantage of commutativity as possible. The unperturbed operator is the sum of two operator which commute. This allows ##U_0## to be factored into two commuting unitary operators. One then commutes the various terms such that the spin factors and mode operators are each transformed by their respective unitary transforms. Also recall that ##U^\dagger f(\hat{o}) U = f(U^\dagger \hat{o} U)## where ##f## is a c-number function and ##\hat{o}## is some unsuspecting operator.

Likes lutherblissett and vanhees71
Thank you Paul, I've done it! Your hint on c-number functions has been fundamental.

Thank you.

LB

Related to Hamiltonian after transformation to interaction picture

What is the Hamiltonian after transformation to interaction picture?

The Hamiltonian after transformation to interaction picture is a mathematical representation of a quantum mechanical system in which the time-dependent part of the Hamiltonian is removed and replaced with an interaction term. This allows for easier calculations and analysis of the system's dynamics.

Why is it useful to transform the Hamiltonian to the interaction picture?

Transforming the Hamiltonian to the interaction picture is useful because it simplifies the mathematical representation of a quantum system by removing the time-dependent part of the Hamiltonian. This makes it easier to study and analyze the dynamics of the system.

How is the Hamiltonian transformed to the interaction picture?

The Hamiltonian is transformed to the interaction picture by applying a unitary transformation, also known as the Schrodinger picture to the interaction picture. This transformation removes the time-dependent part of the Hamiltonian and replaces it with an interaction term.

What are the advantages of using the interaction picture?

The interaction picture has several advantages, including simplifying the mathematical representation of a quantum system, making calculations and analysis easier, and providing a clearer understanding of the dynamics of the system.

Are there any limitations to using the interaction picture?

While the interaction picture is a useful tool for simplifying and analyzing quantum systems, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable in certain situations, such as when studying systems with strong time-dependent interactions or when dealing with non-unitary dynamics.