Hall Effect sensor design - opposite input

In summary, the tachometer does not read the signal from the Hall effect sensor when used with the probe intended for type 2. The tachometer is a linear analog output probe with a differential amplifier and temperature compensation. The part numbers for the sensor are Type 2. The sensor can be used with a gap or a raised piece of metal, but changing the polarity of the applied voltage will change the polarity of the output.
zepto-
I am terrible with electric. I just need some guidance on reconfiguring a hall sensor to read the opposite input.

I have an analog tachometer from the '80s that was used to sense a groove on a grounded, spinning disk.

I want to use the probe (which has 3 wires) to sense a raised piece of metal in the same conditions (grounded, spinning disk).

I have a three wire sensor for both arrangements. When using the sensor that is intended for the raised metal design, the tachometer does not read the signal.I am familiar with the physics involved and could figure out the math, I am just unsure about where to start, or what key terms should be researched.

All suggestions otherwise are welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is there a magnet somewhere? Hall Effect sensors are sensitive to magnetic field polarity. Reversing the polarity of a magnet will reverse the sign of the pulse.

A bare Hall Effect probe looks similar to a Wheatstone bridge connection with 4 wires. A linear analog output probe with a differential amplifier and temperature compensation has three wires. Do you want a linear or nonlinear (2-state) output? What are the part numbers on the sensors?

Bob S

Yes, the magnet is in the sensor. There are coils around the magnet and the moving metal (or lack of metal) creates the flux.

Type 2 in the picture is the intended use of the gauge I have, but I want to use it to sense type 1.
attachment.php?attachmentid=29698&d=1289177311.jpg

I really wish I had the vocabulary/ experience to keep up with you, but I am pretty sure this is not a Hall probe.

The 'probes' in each type provide the magnetic field to sense the movement of a grounded conductor.

Attachments

• PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 485
Without analyzing it, I would say that the changing inductance in the coil produces a voltage pulse; I = V dL/dt, so you get either a voltage or current pulse when the gap passes by. The raised piece of metal should be at least as thick as the groove is wide, possibly wider because of the lack of iron in the vicinity. In any case, changing the polarity of applied voltage will change the polarity of the output. Going from a gap to a raised piece of metal will also change the polarity. A little laminated iron around the coil may help also.

Bob S

Related to Hall Effect sensor design - opposite input

1. What is the purpose of a Hall Effect sensor?

A Hall Effect sensor is used to measure the presence and strength of a magnetic field. It can also detect changes in magnetic fields and convert this information into an electrical signal.

2. How does a Hall Effect sensor work?

A Hall Effect sensor works by utilizing the Hall Effect, which is the production of a voltage difference across an electrical conductor when a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the current flow. The sensor has a thin strip of conductive material and when a magnetic field is applied, it causes a difference in voltage on either side of the strip which can be measured.

3. What is the opposite input in Hall Effect sensor design?

The opposite input in Hall Effect sensor design refers to the placement of the sensor in relation to the magnetic field it is measuring. In opposite input design, the sensor is placed perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field, whereas in parallel input design, the sensor is placed parallel to the magnetic field.

4. What are the advantages of opposite input Hall Effect sensor design?

Opposite input Hall Effect sensor design has several advantages, including increased sensitivity to changes in the magnetic field, better linearity in the output signal, and reduced interference from external magnetic fields. It also allows for more precise measurements and can be used in a wider range of applications.

5. What are some common applications of Hall Effect sensors with opposite input design?

Opposite input Hall Effect sensors are commonly used in a variety of applications, such as speed and position sensing in vehicles, current and power monitoring in electronic devices, and proximity and contactless switches in industrial machinery. They are also used in medical equipment, aerospace technology, and consumer electronics.