Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets

• Thread starter yahman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the lab questions asked us to compare and contrast different animal limb bones, but the teacher never provided us with the resources, so I was unsuccessful in finding the information. I am not asking anyone to do my homework for me, if anyone could suggest a website where I could find the information then that would be a great help. Alternatively, I would appreciate if you could give me hints or solution to the following questions:1-How do the mandibles, maxillae, and quadrate bones differ among fishes, reptiles and mammals?2-among mammals, how do these bones differ among herbivores and carnivores?3-what would you expect to observe in a human skull (with regard to mand
yahman
this is a lab question. though it's a lab question but we didn't learn anything in the lab (we only dissected a rat and that wasn't pertained to lab questions), and the teacher didn't provide us with the resources, I have spent numerous hours browsing google and had no luck (only gathered bits of information that didn't help me much). I am not asking anyone to do my homework for me, if anyone could suggest a website where I could find the information then that would be a great help or by all means give me hints or solution to the following questions:

Forelimbs

1-How do the mandibles, maxillae, and quadrate bones differ among fishes, reptiles and mammals?
2-among mammals, how do these bones differ among herbivores and carnivores?
3-what would you expect to observe in a human skull (with regard to mandibles, maxillae, and quadrate bones)?
4-what differences do you notice when comparing the orbital positions (eyes) of the herbivores versus carnivores? What significance might these differences have?
5-compare frontal and parietal bones in fish and amphibians versus mammals. How might these differences relate to the nervous system development?
6-both frogs and fish forelimbs are designed for swimming. However, the frog's limb must also bear weight on land. Describe differences in the bone structures of frog and fish forelimbs. How are these differences in bone structure adaptive for each for each animal's life style?
7-How do phalanges differ among fish, frogs, birds, and tetra pod mammals (such as the rabbit or cat)? How do Radii and ulna differ? Describe how the phalanges, radius, and ulna are adapted to the function of each forelimb.
8-how does the orientation of the joint between the humerus, the radius and ulna relate to locomotion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you have a textbook for the course? Or some suggested reading?

Related to Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets

1. What are Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets?

Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets are scientific specimens that consist of the upper half of a skull and the corresponding forelimbs (arms or legs) of an animal. These specimens are often preserved and used for research and educational purposes.

2. How are Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets prepared?

Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets are prepared through a process called maceration, which involves the removal of soft tissue from the bones. The bones are then cleaned, dried, and sometimes treated with chemicals to preserve them.

3. What types of animals can be found in Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets?

Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets can contain specimens from a wide range of animals, including mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. They are often used to study the skeletal anatomy and evolutionary relationships of different species.

4. How are Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets used in research?

Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets are valuable tools for studying the anatomy, behavior, and evolutionary history of animals. They can also be used for comparative studies between different species or for understanding the effects of environmental factors on skeletal development.

5. Where can I find Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets for purchase?

Half Skulls and Forelimb Sets can be purchased from scientific supply companies or from online retailers. They may also be available through universities or museums that have collections of scientific specimens.