Half Life Questions: Solving Physics 30 Issues

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of half life in radioactive decay and provides formulas for solving related problems. The main struggle for the speaker is understanding this concept and its application in physics.
dev-hud
i am taking upgrading, and one of the main reasons i failed physics 30 to start with was due to half life. the book can't explain it good enough to me and either could my teacher. so i have a few questions that i would appreciate a starting point for.

How much time elapses before 90% of the radioactivity of a sample of 72/33As dissapears as measured by its activity? the half life is 26h.

A sample of radioactive material contains 10^15 atoms and has an activity of 6.00 x 10^11 Bq. What is the half life?

these are just a couple of the many questions i am struggling with.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]N(t)=N_0 e^{-t/\tau}[/tex]

Is all you need to know, along with the definition that the half life is the time it takes for half a given sample to decay.

After a time [tex]t=t_{1/2}[/tex] it holds that: [tex]N(t)=\tfrac{1}{2}N_0[/tex]

Looking at the general form, we find that:
[tex]\tfrac{1}{2}=e^{-t_{1/2}/\tau}[/tex]

Some algebra provides: [tex]\tau = \frac{t_{1/2}}{\ln{2}}[/tex]

Now try and solve the problems and show us where you have difficulty.

RoyalCat said:
[tex]N(t)=N_0 e^{-t/\tau}[/tex]

Is all you need to know, along with the definition that the half life is the time it takes for half a given sample to decay.

After a time [tex]t=t_{1/2}[/tex] it holds that: [tex]N(t)=\tfrac{1}{2}N_0[/tex]

Looking at the general form, we find that:
[tex]\tfrac{1}{2}=e^{-t_{1/2}/\tau}[/tex]

Some algebra provides: [tex]\tau = \frac{t_{1/2}}{\ln{2}}[/tex]

Now try and solve the problems and show us where you have difficulty.

Don't feel bad if you don't agree that logarithmic manipulations aren't algebraic, I don't either. Doesn't mean they don't work.

Related to Half Life Questions: Solving Physics 30 Issues

1. What is the definition of half-life?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of a radioactive substance to decay into a stable form. It is a constant value for each radioactive element and can be used to determine the rate of decay.

2. How do you calculate the half-life of a substance?

The half-life of a substance can be calculated using the formula t1/2 = ln(2)/λ, where t1/2 is the half-life, ln(2) is the natural logarithm of 2, and λ is the decay constant of the substance.

3. Why is the concept of half-life important in physics?

The concept of half-life is important in physics because it allows us to understand and predict the rate of decay of radioactive substances. It is also used in various fields such as medicine, geology, and environmental science to determine the age of materials and study their properties.

4. How does half-life relate to nuclear reactions?

Half-life is directly related to nuclear reactions as it determines the rate of decay of radioactive isotopes. In nuclear reactions, particles are emitted from the nucleus of an atom, causing it to become a different element with a different half-life.

5. Can half-life be altered or influenced?

No, the half-life of a substance is a constant value for that specific substance and cannot be altered or influenced by external factors such as temperature or pressure. However, certain chemical reactions can affect the rate of decay, which in turn can affect the observed half-life.