Gyroscopic precession with dual counter rotation

In summary, I think the effect would be that the bar would be held stationary, but it would be difficult to move it in any other direction other than the axis of rotation.
jonatron5
I watched an interesting video on YouTube by veratisirm where he had a meter long metal rod with a huge metal fly wheel on the end of it. Long story short he could barely lift the thing but under full spin he could just about swing the thing like a sword. the only thing was the precession wanted to keep the whole thing moving around him in a circle. My question is what would be the result if there where two counter rotating equaly placed equal in size equal in mass equal in speed flywheels. Would there be precession along any axis? would he still be able to manipulate the bar as though it where light weight? or is that purely an action of the asyemetry of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean if you had the same rod but two, counter-rotating, flywheels?
Watching the video - the effect was explained right?
So, before anyone explains, what do you think would happen?

jonatron5 said:
My question is what would be the result if there where two counter rotating equaly placed equal in size equal in mass equal in speed flywheels. Would there be precession along any axis? would he still be able to manipulate the bar as though it where light weight? or is that purely an action of the asyemetry of it?
If you cannot come up with the answer yourself, have you tried to google "counter rotating gyroscopes" ?

Ok I have many responses but ad per requested I didn't look at any of them and am going to give it my best guess.

I would imagine that the counter rotation would stop the rod from wanting to rotate like a wagon wheel. (Becuase I saw some exotic helicopter without a tail roter one time using this principle.

I also think it would tend to lock itself exactly onto whatever axis it was oriented on and resist being moved axial against the rotation.

However as to lifting it along a different axis I have no opinion or idea whatsoever if it would resist that assists that or be indifferent

A.T. said:
If you cannot come up with the answer yourself, have you tried to google "counter rotating gyroscopes" ?
Hey buddy I'm sorry if I offended you or broke some forum rules. I just figured it would be an interesting place to discuss it here

Related to Gyroscopic precession with dual counter rotation

1. What is gyroscopic precession with dual counter rotation?

Gyroscopic precession with dual counter rotation is a phenomenon in which a spinning object experiences a change in its orientation when a force is applied perpendicular to its axis of rotation. This occurs due to the conservation of angular momentum and the gyroscopic effect.

2. How does dual counter rotation affect gyroscopic precession?

Dual counter rotation, also known as bi-directional rotation, refers to the rotation of an object in two opposite directions at the same time. In the case of gyroscopic precession, this means that the object is spinning in one direction while also rotating around a different axis. This results in a more stable and controlled precession compared to a single-direction rotation.

3. What are some real-world applications of gyroscopic precession with dual counter rotation?

Gyroscopic precession with dual counter rotation is used in a variety of applications, such as gyroscopes in navigation systems, stabilizers in airplanes and ships, and control systems in satellites. It is also used in various sports equipment, such as bicycles and skateboards, to improve stability and maneuverability.

4. Can gyroscopic precession with dual counter rotation be demonstrated in a simple experiment?

Yes, gyroscopic precession with dual counter rotation can be easily demonstrated using a spinning top or a gyroscope toy. By applying a force perpendicular to the spinning axis, the object will exhibit a change in its orientation, showcasing the principle of gyroscopic precession.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using gyroscopic precession with dual counter rotation?

One potential disadvantage of using gyroscopic precession with dual counter rotation is the added complexity and cost of implementing it in certain systems. Additionally, it may require more maintenance and calibration compared to simpler systems. However, the benefits of improved stability and control often outweigh these potential drawbacks.