Guassian elimination and Inverse Matrix

In summary, the process of solving a matrix equation is to hold the first row first column element constant while getting the 1st col, 2nd & 3rd to zero. The goal is to shift the three right columns to the left by repeating the process in the first sentence, only in the second column the middle integer is reduced to 1 while the numbers above and below are reduced to 0. Solutions of inverses can be found on the Web using Google.
phantomAI
I'm still having trouble with Guassian elimination and finding the Inverse of a Matrix. I tend to get confused with the switching of the rows or factoring out something.

Example matrix

1 1 1 | 1
1 1 -2 | 3
2 1 1 | 2

so it's a system of linear equations and I must solve for x, y, and z.

I was wondering is someone could help show the steps in solving these matrices as well as explain finding the solution to the inverse matrix.

I know that to find the inverse, the Matrix must be dotted by the Identity matrix.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, I figured out how to do the inverse, but had to see it through a 2x2 matrix first. I'm still bad at doing the Guassian elimination matrix though unless I write out as a linear system of equations, but I don't want to keep on converting it to a linear system to solve..I just want to solve through matrix form.

Gaussian Elimination & Matrix Inverse

The basic process is to hold the first row first column element constant while getting the 1st col, 2nd & 3rd to zero. Remembering to join a matrix of the same dimension (n*n) as an adjoint i.e. n*2n cols. The goal: shift the three right columns to the left by repeating the process in the first sentence, only in the second column the middle integer is reduced to 1 while the numbers above and below are reduced to 0.

This is fairly simple on a three by three matrix, gets trickier the higher one goes i.e. 5*5. At times there is no inverse so don't chase for a no answer situation. Solutions of inverses can be found on the Web using Google.

May I ask how to find solutions on google? I'm still trying to figure out all of the wonderful aspects of the google calculator :). Thanks.

Related to Guassian elimination and Inverse Matrix

1. What is Gaussian elimination and how does it work?

Gaussian elimination is a method for solving systems of linear equations by systematically eliminating variables. It involves performing a series of row operations on a matrix until it is in reduced row echelon form, allowing for the solution to be easily obtained.

2. What is an inverse matrix and how is it related to Gaussian elimination?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that when multiplied by the original matrix results in the identity matrix. It is related to Gaussian elimination as the process of eliminating variables in a system of equations also involves reducing the original matrix to the identity matrix, which then allows for the inverse matrix to be easily calculated.

3. Why is Gaussian elimination an important tool in linear algebra?

Gaussian elimination is an important tool in linear algebra because it allows for efficient and accurate solutions to systems of linear equations, which are used in a variety of fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It also provides a foundation for more advanced concepts in linear algebra.

4. What are some applications of Gaussian elimination and inverse matrices?

Gaussian elimination and inverse matrices have many practical applications, such as solving systems of equations in engineering and physics, finding the coefficients of a polynomial regression model in statistics, and performing transformations in computer graphics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gaussian elimination and inverse matrices?

While Gaussian elimination and inverse matrices are powerful tools, they do have some limitations. This method can become computationally expensive for large matrices, and it may not work for certain types of matrices such as singular or ill-conditioned matrices. Additionally, the process may introduce rounding errors that can affect the accuracy of the solution.