Growth of Functions - Big Theta

In summary, big theta notation is a way to describe the growth rate of functions. If f(x) is big theta of g(x), then g(x) can also be bounded by f(x), at least when both functions are nonnegative. However, the exact relationship between the two functions depends on the details of the definition of big theta.
Lepros
If f(x) if big-theta of g(x), is it also always the case then that g(x) is big-theta of f(x)?

Technology news on Phys.org
Affirmative. (The forum requires a 5-character minimum reply, so I could not just answer "yes".)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Affirmative. (The forum requires a 5-character minimum reply, so I could not just answer "yes".)

Changed to 3. Now you can write "No." or "Yes."

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Why ?

Well, $f(x)=\Theta(g(x))$ means that from some $x_0$ forward and for some positive constants $C_1$ and $C_2$ we have $C_1g(x)\le f(x)\le C_2g(x)$. From this it is clear that $g(x)$ can be similarly bounded by $f(x)$, at least when $f(x)$ and $g(x)$ are (eventually) nonnegative.

But how can you write the double inequality ? We know it's okay if we consider absolute values, but if for example $\forall x>x_0~,~f(x)<0~\text{and}~g(x)>0,~\text{while}~C|f(x)|>g(x)$, what would happen ?

Another equivalent definition (or almost) is that limsup |f/g| < infinity, but if it's 0, couldn't there be a problem ?

I'm basing all this on the wikipedia, so please excuse my ignorance :DThis document ( http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs2604/Summer2000/Notes/C03.Asymptotics.pdf ) covers quite a lot of properties related to the big theta. But none of them talk about the equivalence...

Last edited:
In the Wikipedia page about Big O notation, the definition of $\Theta$ does not involve absolute values, so the relation $f(x)=\Theta(g(x))$ is symmetric. In the PDF document you provided, $\Theta$ is defined only for nonnegative functions. In my experience, $\Theta$ is most often used in algorithm analysis, where resources are usually nonnegative.

For functions that can be negative, the answer depends on the details of the definition of $\Theta$. If it means $C_1|g(x)|\le |f(x)|\le C_2|g(x)|$, then again the relation is symmetric. If it means $C_1g(x)\le |f(x)|\le C_2g(x)$, then, as you say, it does not follow that $|g(x)|\le 1/C_1\cdot f(x)$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
-
Sorry, I was considering big O and not big theta :( I thought there were the same :(

Related to Growth of Functions - Big Theta

1. What is the definition of Big Theta?

Big Theta is a mathematical notation used to describe the growth rate of a function. It represents the set of all functions that grow at the same rate as the given function, up to a constant factor.

2. How is Big Theta different from Big O and Big Omega?

Big Theta is similar to Big O and Big Omega in that they all represent the growth rate of a function. However, Big Theta provides a tighter bound on the growth rate, as it considers both the upper and lower bounds of the function.

3. How do you determine the Big Theta of a function?

To determine the Big Theta of a function, you must find two constant values, c1 and c2, such that the function is sandwiched between c1*g(n) and c2*g(n) for all values of n. This means that the function grows at the same rate as g(n), up to a constant factor.

4. Can a function have multiple Big Theta values?

No, a function can only have one Big Theta value. This is because Big Theta represents the growth rate of a function as n approaches infinity, and a function can only have one limiting behavior as n gets larger.

5. How is Big Theta used in algorithm analysis?

In algorithm analysis, Big Theta is used to determine the efficiency of an algorithm in terms of its time or space complexity. It helps to compare different algorithms and choose the most efficient one for a given problem.