Groups whose elements have order 2

In summary: Consider Zn={0,1,...,n-1}. show that an element k is a generator of Zn if and only if k and n are relatively prime.
halvizo1031

Homework Statement

suppose that G is a group in which every non-identity element has order two. Show that G is commutative.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is my answer correct?

Suppose that a,b and ab all have order two. we will show that a and b commute. By assumption, e=(ab)^2
=abab
As a and b are their own inverses, multiplying on the left by a and then b,
we get
ba=ab.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.
e = abab implies
b = ababb = aba which implies
ba = abaa = ab

Yes, that's right.

VeeEight said:
Looks good to me.
e = abab implies
b = ababb = aba which implies
ba = abaa = ab

Thanks! Is there another way i can show this?

halvizo1031 said:
Thanks! Is there another way i can show this?

Why do you need another way? What did you have in mind?

Dick said:
Why do you need another way? What did you have in mind?

well i just don't want to have the same answer as someone else.

halvizo1031 said:
well i just don't want to have the same answer as someone else.

It's a simple problem. There's a simple answer. There's a few different permutations on the expression of that answer, but they are all really the same. Wouldn't it be better to move on to the next problem?

Dick said:
It's a simple problem. There's a simple answer. There's a few different permutations on the expression of that answer, but they are all really the same. Wouldn't it be better to move on to the next problem?

That's true. I'm having trouble showing that an element k is a generator of Zn if and only if k and n are relatively prime.

halvizo1031 said:
That's true. I'm having trouble showing that an element k is a generator of Zn if and only if k and n are relatively prime.

The order 2 part of the problem has nothing to do with proving k is a generator of Zn if k and n are relatively prime. Try thinking about them independently.

Dick said:
The order 2 part of the problem has nothing to do with proving k is a generator of Zn if k and n are relatively prime. Try thinking about them independently.

Sorry, i forgot to mention that this question has nothing to do with the order 2 problem. Here's the new question:

Consider Zn={0,1,...,n-1}. show that an element k is a generator of Zn if and only if k and n are relatively prime.

Related to Groups whose elements have order 2

1. What is the definition of a group whose elements have order 2?

A group whose elements have order 2 refers to a mathematical structure where all the elements in the group have a specific property called "order 2". This means that when an element is multiplied by itself, the result is the identity element of the group.

2. How do you determine the order of an element in a group whose elements have order 2?

The order of an element in a group whose elements have order 2 is equal to 2. This is because the element multiplied by itself will always result in the identity element, and no other power of the element will do the same.

3. Can a group have elements with different orders?

Yes, a group can have elements with different orders. However, if all the elements in a group have order 2, then the group is called a "group of order 2".

4. What is the significance of elements with order 2 in a group?

Elements with order 2 play an important role in the structure and properties of a group. They can help identify the center of a group and can also be used to classify groups into different types, such as abelian or non-abelian.

5. How are groups whose elements have order 2 used in real-life applications?

Groups whose elements have order 2 have various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. For example, they are used in quantum mechanics to represent spin states of particles, in chemistry to describe molecular symmetry, and in computer science for error correction codes and cryptography.