Group Normalcy not transitive example?

In summary, the normal subgroup of a normal subgroup may not be normal in the original group, as seen in the case of the Alternating symmetry group (A_n) and the symmetric group (S_n). This is because the simplicity of A_n is independent of its normality in S_n. When trying to find non-transitive normal subgroups, it is important to consider smaller symmetry groups or subgroups of them, as well as groups with certain properties such as being non-abelian and having a specific index.
PsychonautQQ
The normal subgroup of a normal subgroup need not be normal in the original group (normalcy is not transitive). Could somebody provide me with an example of where this is the case? Thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
what examples have you tried? there should be some rather small suitable ones available.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Think of small symmetry groups or subgroups of them.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Small symmetry groups... Is the Alternating symmetry group (A_n) always simple in S_n? If not that's the route I'm going to go... It's always normal because the index in S_n is always going to be two obviously... Anyway if I find a normal subgroup of some A_n maybe it won't be normal in S_n? Do you think this is a smart route to take?

PsychonautQQ said:
Small symmetry groups... Is the Alternating symmetry group (A_n) always simple in S_n?
They are simple for ##n > 4## (and three). "Simple in" is a bit of a weird wording.
If not that's the route I'm going to go... It's always normal because the index in S_n is always going to be two obviously... Anyway if I find a normal subgroup of some A_n maybe it won't be normal in S_n? Do you think this is a smart route to take?
If you consider a whole symmetric group it might be more difficult to prove because you have an additional transposition at hand to get closure under conjugation.

Ahh good point, my teacher had so engraved into me to make sure to say when a subgroup is normal it's very important to say what group it's normal inside of, but being simple is independent of that of course, good catch.

So don't consider the whole symmetric group? What do you mean i'll have an additional transposition? an additional transposition compared to the alternating group? I haven't spent a whole lot of time tinkering around with the inner workings of the symmetric group, are there certain elements in most or all symmetric groups that are often times an obvious normal subgroup that I could look for non-transitive normal subgroups of?

It's almost everything said already. Since the alternating groups ##A_5, A_6, ...## are all simple they won't help you. Abelian groups won't help you either. So to stay with small groups there is not much choice. My comment on the transposition just meant: With more possible ##g## in ##gNg^{-1} ⊆ N## it's not only more work to do, but also easier for a subgroup to be normal. However, I didn't really think a lot about it.

Likes PsychonautQQ
As you have observed constructing normal subgroups is not trivial, even in small groups to begin with. But if you have [tex] K\subset H \subset G[/tex] groups, with [tex][G : H] = [H:K] = 2,[/tex] then K is a normal subgroup of H, and H is a normal subgroup of G, and you have a pretty good shot at K not being normal in G. K obviously needs to be non-trivial, so the smallest possible |G| is 8. It turns out that at least one of the two(?) non-abelian groups of order 8 works for this.

Related to Group Normalcy not transitive example?

1. What is an example of Group Normalcy not being transitive?

One example of Group Normalcy not being transitive is the following scenario: In a group of friends, Person A is considered normal by Person B, and Person B is considered normal by Person C. However, Person A is not considered normal by Person C. This violates the transitive property of Group Normalcy, where if A is normal to B and B is normal to C, then A should be normal to C as well.

2. How does Group Normalcy impact social dynamics?

Group Normalcy can heavily influence social dynamics, as it determines who is accepted and valued within a group. When Group Normalcy is not transitive, it can create tension and exclusion within the group as some members may be considered normal by some, but not by others.

3. Can Group Normalcy change over time?

Yes, Group Normalcy can change over time as societal norms and values evolve. What may have been considered normal in the past may no longer hold true in the present. As groups and individuals adapt to these changes, the concept of Group Normalcy also shifts.

4. How does Group Normalcy affect individual self-perception?

Group Normalcy can have a strong impact on individual self-perception. When a person is considered normal by their group, they may feel a sense of belonging and acceptance. On the other hand, if a person is not considered normal by their group, they may experience feelings of exclusion and low self-worth.

5. Is Group Normalcy a universal concept?

No, Group Normalcy is not a universal concept as it is heavily influenced by cultural values and norms. What may be considered normal within one group or culture may not hold true in another. It is important to consider the context and cultural background when examining Group Normalcy.