Grounded conductor charge distribution

In summary: The charge at R3 gets multiplied by (-q+q') because it is now in a negative electric field.This means that the net charge on R3 is (-q+q')<r, where r is the radius of R3.In summary, grounding a conductor affects the charge distribution over its surfaces. For r<R3, there is no electric field. For r>R3, the electric field is only between R1 and R2.
MrAlbot
Hello, I've been trying to understand how the fact of grounding a conductor affects its charge distribution.

So, for example, let's assume there are three spherical shells with radius R1 R2 and R3. Supose I charge the R1 shell with q and the R3 shell with -q , and I connect the R2 shell to the ground and now I want to find out what is the charge distribution over the inside and outside of these shells.

My quick answer would be:

As far as I can see, the middle shell acts like a perfect faraday cage, and the distribution of charge of R3 of -q will scatter through the outside surface.

so the Electric field should only exist betwen R1 and R2 and out of the bigger shell (r>R3)

The charge distribution would be:

R1- = 0
R1+ = q
R2- = -q
R2+ = 0
R3- = 0
R3+ = -q

Based in the fact that if the cage acts and contains the electric field inside the larger (R3) shell then the Gauss law would work (* now that I see it I think here is the problem, because the potential must somehow go back to zero *)

Although I've seen people say that the distribution should be:

R1- = 0
R1+ = q
R2- = -q
R2+ = q'
R3- = -q'
R3+ = -q+q'

and then be solved (knowing that The potential from the midle sphere must be zero)
calculating the potential from infinity to R2 must be zero, so The potential from infinity to R3 plus the potential from R3 to R2 must be zero, and this 2 potentials must be simetric.

In the meantime, while I was writting all of this down, I came to the conclusion thaat the second option is the correcto one, but I was hoping I could have someone else's aproval on this.

Thanks in advance,

Pedro

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've been trying to understand how the fact of grounding a conductor affects its charge distribution.
Grounding a conductor provides a large amount of charges to balance out whatever the conductor has.

The effect is that any excess charge on the conductor gets conducted away to ground - unless there is some other reason for them to stick around. (It also sets the potential of the surface that got grounded to the same as the ground - usually "zero".) This means that attracted charges get to stay, repelled charges get conducted away.

Now for your question:

So, for example, let's assume there are three spherical shells with radius R1 R2 and R3.
R1<R2<R3?

Suppose I charge the R1 shell with q and the R3 shell with -q , and I connect the R2 shell to the ground and now I want to find out what is the charge distribution over the inside and outside of these shells.

My quick answer would be:

As far as I can see, the middle shell acts like a perfect faraday cage, and the distribution of charge of R3 of -q will scatter through the outside surface.
If it were not grounded, then the charges in the shell would be able to redistribute to cancel out any external field.

so the Electric field should only exist between R1 and R2 and out of the bigger shell (r>R3)
Taking R1<R2<R3:

Ignore the grounding for a bit - there would be an electric field everywhere except inside R1.
The neutral shell at R2 has no effect on the field.
The charge at R3 has no contribution to the field for r<R3.
For r>R3 there are equal and opposite contributions from R1 and R3... so there is no field.

Now you want to look carefully at the (induced) charge at R3.

Once you have that - then you can figure out what happens when R2 is grounded.

Related to Grounded conductor charge distribution

1. What is a grounded conductor charge distribution?

A grounded conductor charge distribution refers to the way electric charge is distributed along a grounded conductor, such as a wire or metal object connected to the earth. This distribution is important in determining how electrical currents flow and how electric fields are affected.

2. How is the charge distributed along a grounded conductor?

The charge distribution along a grounded conductor is determined by the capacitance and resistance of the conductor, as well as the potential difference between the conductor and the ground. The charge is typically distributed evenly along the surface of the conductor.

3. Why is understanding grounded conductor charge distribution important?

Understanding grounded conductor charge distribution is important in designing and analyzing electrical systems. It helps determine the flow of currents and the strength of electric fields, which can impact the performance and safety of electrical devices and circuits.

4. How is grounded conductor charge distribution affected by different factors?

The charge distribution along a grounded conductor can be affected by factors such as the material and shape of the conductor, the presence of nearby objects or materials, and the voltage and frequency of the electric current flowing through the conductor. These factors can alter the capacitance and resistance of the conductor, leading to changes in the charge distribution.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding grounded conductor charge distribution?

Knowledge of grounded conductor charge distribution is crucial in the design and operation of electrical systems, including power grids, electronic devices, and communication networks. It is also important for safety considerations, such as protecting against electric shocks and preventing damage to equipment due to excessive currents or electric fields.