Ground Anchor - Lateral and Uplift Resistances

• Thread starter HauntedMines
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to approximate the anchoring strength of a partially buried concrete caisson. The goal is to design an anchor/pier that will not be dragged through the ground or plucked up from the earth. Factors such as the mass of the caisson, soil type, and shape and size of the caisson are important to consider. The speaker suggests doing research in standard engineering handbooks and consulting civil and foundation engineering sources for information on this topic.
HauntedMines
Howdy -

I'm looking for a way to approximate the anchoring strength of a partially buried concrete caisson (pier). It would be used for anchoring a guy wire coming into it at about 45-degrees from above. Most of it's in the ground, a few inches sticks above where the cable fastens to it. The design goal is to not have it dragged thru the ground like a plow, or plucked up from the earth! :-)

I'm not after super-precise calculations, but practical rule-of-thumb things to help me design the anchor/pier. I'm fairly certain these things matter:

* Mass of the concrete caisson
* Soil type (sandy w/some clay, packs well)
* Shape & size of the caisson

I'm not sure how to get started,
Thanx,
- Steve

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you can find something on this if you do some digging in standard engineering handbooks, etc. This sort of information is definitely known, and there is no point in re-inventing the wheel (or anchor). Check civil and foundation engineering sources for starters.

Related to Ground Anchor - Lateral and Uplift Resistances

What is a ground anchor?

A ground anchor is a structural element that is used to provide stability and support for a variety of structures, such as buildings, retaining walls, and bridges. It consists of a deep, vertical rod or cable that is embedded into the ground and connected to the structure above.

What is the purpose of lateral resistance in a ground anchor?

Lateral resistance in a ground anchor is used to counteract horizontal forces that may act on the structure, such as wind or seismic loads. It helps to prevent the structure from tipping over or sliding due to these forces.

How is uplift resistance measured in a ground anchor?

Uplift resistance in a ground anchor is measured by the maximum load that the anchor can withstand before it begins to lift out of the ground. This is typically tested through laboratory experiments or field tests.

What factors can affect the lateral and uplift resistances of a ground anchor?

The lateral and uplift resistances of a ground anchor can be affected by various factors, including the type and strength of the soil, the depth and angle of the anchor, the design and installation methods, and environmental factors such as moisture and temperature.

How can the lateral and uplift resistances of a ground anchor be increased?

The lateral and uplift resistances of a ground anchor can be increased by using longer and/or thicker rods or cables, increasing the depth or angle of the anchor, using stronger materials, and improving the installation process to ensure proper embedment and bonding with the soil.