Griffiths Electrodynamics vs Pollack Electromagnetism.

In summary, Griffiths Electrodynamics and Pollack Electromagnetism are two different theoretical frameworks used to describe electromagnetic fields. Griffiths Electrodynamics is based on classical electromagnetism while Pollack Electromagnetism incorporates quantum mechanics. Griffiths Electrodynamics is more commonly used in scientific research, but Pollack Electromagnetism is gaining popularity. Both theories can be used to describe the same phenomena, but may provide different explanations and predictions. It is difficult to determine which theory is more accurate, but Pollack Electromagnetism may be considered more accurate in some cases due to its incorporation of quantum mechanics. From a practical standpoint, there may not be significant differences between the two theories, but Pollack Electromagnetism
Moayd Shagaf
I try to learn electrodynamics as theoretical physicist, Now I study from Griffiths, I find it very good book and do the job! but the problem I need to learn electrodynamic to do future topics like Quantum Electrodynamics, and Pollack I find it good and modern, so my question is what is the best book that can help me to grasp any electrodynamics topic like QED?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best book to learn classical electrodynamics in view of QED is Landau&Lifshitz vol. II, because it uses the relativistic formalism from the very beginning.

Likes Demystifier

Related to Griffiths Electrodynamics vs Pollack Electromagnetism.

1. What is the difference between Griffiths Electrodynamics and Pollack Electromagnetism?

Griffiths Electrodynamics and Pollack Electromagnetism are two different theoretical frameworks used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. While Griffiths Electrodynamics is based on classical electromagnetism, Pollack Electromagnetism is a more modern approach that incorporates quantum mechanics.

2. Which theory is more commonly used in scientific research?

Griffiths Electrodynamics is more commonly used in scientific research, as it is a well-established and widely accepted theory. However, Pollack Electromagnetism is gaining popularity due to its ability to explain phenomena that cannot be explained by classical electromagnetism.

3. Can both theories be used to describe the same phenomena?

Yes, both theories can be used to describe the same phenomena. However, they may provide different explanations and predictions due to their different underlying principles and assumptions.

4. Which theory is more accurate?

It is difficult to determine which theory is more accurate, as both have been extensively tested and have been found to accurately describe many electromagnetic phenomena. However, Pollack Electromagnetism may be considered more accurate in some cases, as it incorporates quantum mechanics which has been shown to accurately describe many phenomena at a microscopic level.

5. Are there any practical differences between the two theories?

From a practical standpoint, there may not be significant differences between the two theories in terms of their ability to explain and predict electromagnetic phenomena. However, Pollack Electromagnetism may offer a more comprehensive understanding of the underlying principles and mechanisms behind these phenomena.