Green's theorem - confused about orientation

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Green's theorem and the use of negative orientation in a given problem involving the integral of a vector field over a circle. The original poster initially obtained a negative result, but upon further examination of the orientation, it appears that the answer should be positive. It is suggested that there may be a typo in the solution manual.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

∫Fdr
Over C where C is the cirlce (x-3)^2+ (y+4)^2=4
F=<y-cosy, xsiny>

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I applied Green's theorem and converted to polar and ended up with -4π, it should be positive.
The orientation confused me since day one with this theorem. When I parametrize C I get <2+2cost,-4+2sint> which IS counter clockwise, which DOES curl in the positive Z direction, so when why does my book say that -C gives the positive orientation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably mean <3+2cost,-4+2sint> for the parameterization. How do you know the answer should be positive? That doesn't follow just from going counterclockwise. It depends on the field.

Yes that's what I meant :). The solutions manual says it should be positive.
It says that the curve is oriented negatively to begin with so they say -C must be used for Green's Theorem. I'm confused since it looks to me, from the parametrization, that the orientation is counter-clockwise to begin with and hence in the positive Z so C shouldn't be multiplied by -1.

Feodalherren said:
Yes that's what I meant :). The solutions manual says it should be positive.
The solutions manual says what should be positive? The answer??

It says that the curve is oriented negatively to begin with so they say -C must be used for Green's Theorem. I'm confused since it looks to me, from the parametrization, that the orientation is counter-clockwise to begin with and hence in the positive Z so C shouldn't be multiplied by -1.

Your initial statement of the problem doesn't give any orientation unless you assume the standard counterclockwise orientation. If you integrate in that direction the answer is ##-4\pi## as you have correctly calculated with Green's theorem. Unless there is something you haven't told us, the solution manual likely just has a typo in the answer.

Related to Green's theorem - confused about orientation

1. What is Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area of a two-dimensional region or the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field around a closed curve in the plane. It relates the double integral over a region to a line integral around the boundary of the region.

2. How is Green's theorem related to orientation?

The orientation of a curve or region in Green's theorem refers to the direction in which the boundary is traversed. The orientation must be consistent when calculating the line integral, otherwise the result will be incorrect. It is important to pay attention to the orientation when applying Green's theorem.

3. What is meant by "confused about orientation" in Green's theorem?

Being confused about orientation in Green's theorem refers to not understanding the direction in which the boundary is being traversed, or not being consistent with the orientation in the calculations. This can lead to incorrect results.

4. What are some common mistakes when using Green's theorem?

Some common mistakes when using Green's theorem include not paying attention to the orientation of the curve or region, not using the correct form of the theorem for the given problem, and not being familiar with the concept of a line integral. It is important to carefully follow the steps and pay attention to the orientation in order to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I become more comfortable with using Green's theorem?

Becoming more comfortable with using Green's theorem requires practice and a solid understanding of the concept. It is helpful to work through various examples and exercises to become familiar with the different forms of the theorem and how to apply them. Seeking clarification or assistance from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.