Green's theorem - Boundary value problem has at most one solution

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Green's Theorem to prove that a boundary value problem has at most one solution. The participants also talked about using polar coordinates and integration by parts in higher dimensions. They also pointed out a mistake in the solution where $V_x$ should be $x$ instead of $1$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Prove using Green's theorem that the boundary value problem $$\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}\left ( (1+x^2)\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}}\right )+\frac{\partial}{\partial{y}}\left ( (1+x^2+y^2)\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{y}}\right ) -(1+x^2+y^4)u=f(x,y), x^2+y^2<1 \\ u(x, y)=g(x,y), x^2+y^2=1$$ has at most one solution.

I have done the following:

We suppose that the problem has two different solutions $u_1, u_2$. Then $w=u_1-u_2$ solves the problem:

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}\left ( (1+x^2)\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}}\right )+\frac{\partial}{\partial{y}}\left ( (1+x^2+y^2)\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{y}}\right ) -(1+x^2+y^4)w=0, x^2+y^2<1 \\ w(x, y)=0, x^2+y^2=1$$

From Green's theorem at $\Omega$ we have that $$\iint_{\Omega}\left (\frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{x}}-\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{y}}\right )dxdy=\int_{\partial{\Omega}}(Pdx+Qdy)$$

We choose $$Q=(1+x^2)\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}}, P=-(1+x^2+y^2)\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{y}}$$

$$\iint_{\Omega}\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}\left ( (1+x^2)\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}}\right )+\frac{\partial}{\partial{y}}\left ((1+x^2+y^2)\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{y}}\right )\\ =-\int_{\partial{\Omega}}-(1+x^2+y^2)\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{y}}dx+(1+x^2)\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}}dy$$

How could I continue?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! (Smile)

Logically the next step should be to fill in the boundary, which has $x^2+y^2=1$, and which we can trace with $x=\cos\phi,y=\sin\phi$.
Furthermore, we know that on this boundary, we have $w(x,y)=w(\phi)=0$.
Thus:
$$\d w \phi = \pd w x \d x \phi + \pd w y \d y \phi = 0 \Rightarrow -w_x y + w_y x = 0$$
Although, to be honest, I still don't see how we're supposed to find from this that $w(x,y)=0$ on the interior. (Sweating)

Btw, I think there is a superfluous minus sign. (Worried)
I do see another approach... (Thinking)
If we work out the derivatives, and if we assume $w$ has a maximum $w>0$ in the interior, then it follows that at this maximum $w_x=w_y=0$ and $w_{xx}, w_{yy} \le 0$. This leads to a contradiction. Same thing for a minimum. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
Logically the next step should be to fill in the boundary, which has $x^2+y^2=1$, and which we can trace with $x=\cos\phi,y=\sin\phi$.
Furthermore, we know that on this boundary, we have $w(x,y)=w(\phi)=0$.
Thus:
$$\d w \phi = \pd w x \d x \phi + \pd w y \d y \phi = 0 \Rightarrow -w_x y + w_y x = 0$$
Although, to be honest, I still don't see how we're supposed to find from this that $w(x,y)=0$ on the interior. (Sweating)

So, to use the Green's theorem do we have to use spherical coordinates?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, to use the Green's theorem do we have to use spherical coordinates?? (Wondering)

Polar coordinates actually, yes. (Thinking)

I found the following solution in my notes:

View attachment 4460

Could you explain to me the part where $V_x$ is used?? (Wondering)

Attachments

• Green.PNG
    Green.PNG
    31.8 KB · Views: 57
mathmari said:
I found the following solution in my notes:

Could you explain to me the part where $V_x$ is used?? (Wondering)

Interesting! (Happy)

That's not Green's Theorem but Integration by parts in higher dimensions.
$V_x$ is supposed to be the x-component of the outward facing normal on the boundary, which I think should be $x$ instead of $1$. :eek:

Related to Green's theorem - Boundary value problem has at most one solution

What is Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is a mathematical tool used in vector calculus to evaluate line integrals over a closed curve by converting them into double integrals over a region in the plane.

What is a boundary value problem?

A boundary value problem is a type of mathematical problem in which the solution is sought within a specified domain and is required to satisfy certain conditions on the boundaries of that domain.

How does Green's theorem relate to boundary value problems?

Green's theorem is often used to solve boundary value problems by converting them into double integrals, which can then be solved using standard techniques from multivariable calculus.

Why does a boundary value problem have at most one solution?

This is a consequence of the uniqueness theorem in differential equations, which states that a differential equation with specified initial conditions or boundary conditions has at most one solution.

What are some real-world applications of Green's theorem and boundary value problems?

Green's theorem and boundary value problems have applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include calculating work done by a force, determining electric potentials, and analyzing fluid flow in pipes.