Green's Function for Two-Point Boundary Value Problem

• Thread starter Brian T
  • Start date
In summary, the author attempted to find the Green's function for the problem given c is not a constant, but was unable to do so.
Brian T

Homework Statement

Determine the Green's function for the following problem
$$-u'' + cu = f$$ in the domain D = (0,1) with BC's [itex] u(0)=u(1)=0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Green's function is given by
$$G(x,y) =\begin{cases}
\frac{1}{W} u_0(x)u_1(y), &\text{for } 0 \leq y \leq x \leq 1, \\
\frac{1}{W} u_0(x)u_1(y), &\text{for } 0 \leq x \leq y \leq 1.
\end{cases} $$
Where W is the Wronskian of the solutions to the homogeneous equation [itex]u_0, u_1[/itex], where [itex]u_0, u_1[/itex] satisfy the boundary conditions [itex]u_0(0)=1, u_0(1)=0, u_1(0)=0, u_1(1)=1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to find the Green's function assuming [itex]c = const [/itex].
To find the fundamental solutions, we solve the homogenous equation [itex] -u'' + cu = 0 [/itex].
The fundamental solutions are [itex]e^{\sqrt{c}x}, e^{-\sqrt{c}x}[/itex]. To satisfy the boundary conditions, choose the appropriate linear combination of these fundamental solutions. After a little algebra, I get:
$$u_0(x) = \frac{1}{1 - e^{2\sqrt{c}}}e^{\sqrt{c}x} + \frac{-e^{2\sqrt{c}}}{1-e^{2\sqrt{c}}))}e^{-\sqrt{c}x}$$
$$u_1(x) = \frac{1}{e^{\sqrt{c}} - e^{-\sqrt{c}}}e^{\sqrt{c}x} + \frac{1}{e^{-\sqrt{c}} - e^{\sqrt{c}}}e^{-\sqrt{c}x}$$

I know this is all correct (plugged in and verified my solutions).
The question I have is for c not a constant, i.e. c = c(x). Since the problem does not specify whether c is constant or a function, I would assume that it could be a function... The DE becomes
$$ -u'' + c(x)u = f $$
This would require getting the fundamental solutions by solving
$$ -u'' + c(x)u = 0 $$
which I am unsure of how to do for an arbitrary function c(x). There are certain methods for certain types of functions of c(x), but does anyone have a clue on how to solve this ODE for a general c(x)? If not do you think the problem could be referring to a constant c (in the actual chapter the author usually takes the coefficient to be an arbitrary function)? By the way, the book is numerical PDE's by Larrson

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no general way of solving that for any function c(x). By the way, finding Green's function for the case c constant can by simplified by using cosh(cx) and sinh(cx) rather than [itex]e^{cx}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-cx}[/itex] .

Likes Brian T
HallsofIvy said:
There is no general way of solving that for any function c(x). By the way, finding Green's function for the case c constant can by simplified by using cosh(cx) and sinh(cx) rather than [itex]e^{cx}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-cx}[/itex] .

Ohh alright, thanks. I'll try that instead :).

Related to Green's Function for Two-Point Boundary Value Problem

1. What is a two-point boundary value problem?

A two-point boundary value problem (BVP) is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a differential equation that satisfies a set of conditions at two different points. These conditions, or boundary values, are typically specified as initial values for the dependent variables or as prescribed values for the dependent variables at the boundaries of the problem domain.

2. What are the steps involved in solving a two-point BVP?

The first step is to determine the type of differential equation and the boundary conditions. Then, the equation is typically transformed into a simpler form using techniques such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms. Next, the transformed equation is solved for the unknown function. Finally, the solution is checked against the original equation and boundary conditions to ensure its validity.

3. What are the common methods used to solve two-point BVPs?

The most commonly used methods to solve two-point BVPs include the shooting method, the finite difference method, and the finite element method. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What are the challenges in solving two-point BVPs?

Solving two-point BVPs can be challenging due to the complexity of the differential equations involved and the nonlinearity of the boundary conditions. In addition, numerical errors can arise during the solution process, which can affect the accuracy of the final solution. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate method and to perform thorough error analysis to ensure an accurate solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving two-point BVPs?

Two-point BVPs have many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, two-point BVPs are used to model the behavior of physical systems such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and wave propagation. In engineering, they are used to solve problems related to structural mechanics, electromagnetics, and control systems. In economics, two-point BVPs are used to model economic growth and optimization problems.