Great Circle Distance Derivation

In summary, the shortest distance between two points on a spherical surface, known as the Great Circle Distance, can be derived by using the definition of spherical coordinates and the dot product of the position vectors. This distance can also be found by integrating the formula (ds)2 = R2 [ (dθ)2 + sin2θ (dφ)2 ] along the shortest curve. However, this process can be complicated due to the θ,φ relation. The formula can be further confirmed by considering two points with a small angle between them and letting that angle approach zero.
IWantToLearn
I derived the shortest distance between two points on a spherical surface (Great Circle Distance) , using the definition of the spherical coordinates and the dot product of the position vectors r1 and r2 where
r1 = ( R cosθ1 cosφ1 , R cosθ1 sinφ1 , R sinθ1 )
r2 = ( R cosθ2 cosφ2 , R cosθ2 sinφ2 , R sinθ2 )
α = cos-1 [ (r1r2)/(r1r2) ]

And the great circle distance S = α R

to find that S = R cos-1 [ sinθ1 sinθ2 + cosθ1 cosθ2 cos(φ21) ]

however i know that the square of the distance between two points that are very close to each other on a spherical surface is : (ds)2 = R2 [ (dθ)2 + sin2θ (dφ)2 ]

As far as i understand this should be integrated to to find S between any two points on the surface , and it should yield the same formula above

I need to know how to do this

Physics news on Phys.org
IWantToLearn said:
As far as i understand this should be integrated to to find S between any two points on the surface , and it should yield the same formula above
If you integrate it along the shortest curve, that works, but the θ,φ relation along that shortest curve is complicated. Why do you want to do that?

mfb said:
If you integrate it along the shortest curve, that works, but the θ,φ relation along that shortest curve is complicated. Why do you want to do that?

I want to convince myself that this formula (ds)2= R2 [ (dθ)2 + sin2θ (dφ)2 ] is true

Then you can consider two points with an angle ##\epsilon \alpha## between them, and let ##\epsilon## go to zero.

Related to Great Circle Distance Derivation

1. What is the Great Circle Distance Derivation?

The Great Circle Distance Derivation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the shortest distance between two points on a sphere, also known as the great circle distance. This is commonly used to measure distances on Earth, as the planet is approximately spherical in shape.

2. How is the Great Circle Distance Derivation calculated?

The Great Circle Distance Derivation is calculated using the Haversine formula, which takes into account the latitude and longitude of the two points and the radius of the sphere. It uses trigonometric functions to calculate the central angle between the two points, and then uses this angle to determine the great circle distance.

3. What is the difference between Great Circle Distance and Euclidean Distance?

Great Circle Distance takes into account the curvature of the Earth, while Euclidean Distance assumes a flat surface. This means that Great Circle Distance will always be shorter than Euclidean Distance between two points on a sphere.

4. Why is the Great Circle Distance Derivation important?

The Great Circle Distance Derivation is important for accurately calculating distances on a spherical surface, such as Earth. It is also used in navigation and air travel, as it helps determine the most efficient routes between two points on the planet.

5. Is the Great Circle Distance Derivation accurate?

The Great Circle Distance Derivation is considered to be a highly accurate method for calculating distances on a sphere. However, it does not take into account factors such as terrain or obstacles, which may affect the actual distance traveled between two points.