GRE often missed geometry question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of theorems to find the correct answer, specifically in the context of a circle with radius r and a right isosceles triangle with sides PQ = r√2 and MN = 2r. The conversation also mentions the use of electronic calculators and the use of a "slip-stick" for calculations. The conversation concludes with the speaker mentioning their educational background and the use of handheld calculators for elementary math.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
mhb.png

ok this is an observation question but many seem to miss the answer
What theorms would rely on to get the correct answer

Mathematics news on Phys.org
let $r$ be the circle radius …

$\Delta POQ$ is a right isosceles triangle

$PQ = r\sqrt{2}$

$MN = 2r$

skeeter said:
let $r$ be the circle radius …

$\Delta POQ$ is a right isosceles triangle

$PQ = r\sqrt{2}$

$MN = 2r$
so $\dfrac{2r}{r\sqrt{2}}=\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{2}}\approx1.43<2$
which is B

$\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{2} < 2$

no need for a decimal representation … unless you are “old school” and can recall $\sqrt{2} \approx 1.414$

not sure i graduated 1970

Beer soaked query follows.
karush said:
not sure i graduated 1970
From high school or college?

I graduated high school in 1970, before electronic calculators. Did learn to use a “slip-stick” though.

jonah said:
Beer soaked query follows.

From high school or college?A
i graduated from Azusa Pacific University 1970
but i took all my math at Citrus Community College which was next door but only went up to Algebra II handhelds in those days just did elementary math

Related to GRE often missed geometry question

1. What is the most common type of geometry question on the GRE?

The most common type of geometry question on the GRE is one that involves finding the area or perimeter of a shape, or solving for missing angles in a triangle or other polygon.

2. How can I improve my performance on geometry questions on the GRE?

To improve your performance on geometry questions on the GRE, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic geometry concepts and formulas. Practice with sample questions and make sure to review any mistakes you make to identify areas for improvement.

3. What are some strategies for solving geometry questions quickly on the GRE?

One strategy for solving geometry questions quickly on the GRE is to draw diagrams and label them with any given information. This can help you visualize the problem and identify which formulas or concepts you need to use. Another strategy is to look for any given angles or sides that can be used to apply known relationships or theorems.

4. How can I avoid making careless mistakes on geometry questions on the GRE?

To avoid making careless mistakes on geometry questions on the GRE, it is important to double check your work and calculations. Pay attention to units and make sure you are using the correct formulas. Also, be sure to read the question carefully and make sure you are answering what is being asked.

5. Are there any common pitfalls to watch out for on geometry questions on the GRE?

One common pitfall on geometry questions on the GRE is misreading or misinterpreting the question. Make sure to read the question carefully and make note of any units or specific instructions. Another pitfall is using the wrong formula or concept. Be sure to review and practice different types of geometry questions to become familiar with the most commonly used formulas and concepts.