Gravity Forces Us to Move: PF Forum

In summary: ST diagram because there is always a frame where you are at rest. Motion is relative, so there is always a frame where you are not at rest.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I just want to ask a simple question.
ST-1.jpg

Even if we are at rest (ignoring that the Earth rotates, evolves around the sun, orbitting SMBH and Milky way orbitting what? Virgo Supercluster? And Virgo Supercluster to what?),
A. So even if we are at "rest" (blue line), are we always moving just like in ST diagram? We move trough time.
B. And gravity curves what? Space? Time? Space Time? And we are forced to move (green line), so that ##t_{green}^2-x_{green}^2 = t_{blue}^2##?
If we see the ST diagram, I think gravity just bends time not space. But what I ask, if we are FORCED to move.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
I think gravity just bends time not space.
Both are distorted, but time is more important for what we perceive as attraction.

Likes Stephanus
A.T. said:
Both are distorted, but time is more important for what we perceive as attraction.
Wow, the respond is so fast. Thanks A.T. Btw, what about the ST diagram. Are we forced to move so that ##t_{green}^2-x_{green}^2 = t_{blue}^2##

Stephanus said:
Even if we are at rest
Saying "we are at rest" is not well-defined. Motion is relative - there is always a frame where you are at rest in a particular moment, and frames where you are not.

mfb said:
Saying "we are at rest" is not well-defined. Motion is relative - there is always a frame where you are at rest in a particular moment, and frames where you are not.
Thanks for your reply MFB.
But I don't say:
Even if we are at rest
but
Even if we are at "rest".
Because like you said, Motion is relative and there is always a frame where you are at rest,...
Thanks anyway

Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum,
I just want to ask a simple question.
View attachment 85756
A. So even if we are at "rest" (blue line), are we always moving just like in ST diagram? We move through time.
Yes. Blue is not moving through space but is 'moving through time' in the sense that the passage of time is experienced as always.
B. And gravity curves what? Space? Time? Space Time? And we are forced to move (green line), so that ##t_{green}^2-x_{green}^2 = t_{blue}^2##?
If we see the ST diagram, I think gravity just bends time not space. But what I ask, if we are FORCED to move.
Gravity is curved spacetime.

No we are not forced to move so that ##t_{green}^2-x_{green}^2 = t_{blue}^2##. If blue and green are interacting through gravity it becomes very complicated.

Thanks for the answers

We are never at rest

Likes Stephanus

Related to Gravity Forces Us to Move: PF Forum

1. How does gravity affect our movement?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that pulls objects towards each other. On Earth, this force is what keeps us grounded and causes us to move in a downward direction. Without gravity, we would float away into space.

2. Why do objects fall towards Earth?

Objects fall towards Earth because of the force of gravity. The Earth's mass creates a gravitational pull that attracts objects towards its center. The larger an object's mass, the stronger its gravitational pull will be.

3. Can gravity be overcome?

Gravity is a natural force that cannot be overcome. However, we can counteract its effects through other forces such as lift and propulsion. For example, airplanes use lift to overcome gravity and stay in the air.

4. Does gravity affect us differently in space?

Yes, gravity does affect us differently in space. In space, there is microgravity, which means that the force of gravity is much weaker than on Earth. As a result, astronauts experience weightlessness and can move around without feeling the effects of gravity.

5. Can gravity be manipulated?

No, gravity cannot be manipulated. It is a natural force that follows the laws of physics. While we can use other forces to counteract its effects, we cannot manipulate or control gravity itself.