Gravity force between Earth and Moon from this angle

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the resultant force on the moon in a specific position, taking into account the gravitational forces from the sun and Earth. There is a mention of using Newton's laws and calculating separate forces before using vector addition.
Barooo50

Homework Statement

Hello the text is in swedish but ill try my best to translate,
What it says is:
Determine the resultant force on the moon with regard to thr gravitation force from the sun and the Earth when it's in this position shown in the figure [ picture http://m.imgur.com/AfJOVZo ]
J represents Earth and M represents the moon, i hope you can help me! I will be very grateful if you do!

I tried 9.82 x 1/81 (moon weight to earth) but it was wrong!
It has to do with Newtons laws though (9.82 for Earth gravity force)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Look up Newton's law of universal gravity.

The Sun and Earth will exert separate gravitational forces on the moon. Try determining these forces first. Once you have them, you can use the concept of vector addition.

Related to Gravity force between Earth and Moon from this angle

What is the gravity force between Earth and Moon?

The gravity force between Earth and Moon is approximately 1.98 x 10^20 Newtons. This is due to the gravitational pull between the two bodies, which is dependent on their masses and the distance between them.

How does the angle between Earth and Moon affect the gravity force?

The angle between Earth and Moon does not have a direct effect on the gravity force between them. However, the angle can affect the tides on Earth, as the gravitational force between the two bodies can cause the water on Earth to bulge towards the Moon.

Can the gravity force between Earth and Moon be broken down into components?

Yes, the gravity force between Earth and Moon can be broken down into two components: the radial component, which acts towards the center of the Earth, and the tangential component, which acts at a right angle to the radial component.

Does the distance between Earth and Moon affect the gravity force?

Yes, the gravity force between Earth and Moon is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the gravity force decreases.

Is the gravity force between Earth and Moon constant?

No, the gravity force between Earth and Moon is not constant. It can vary slightly due to factors such as the changing distance between the two bodies, the rotation of Earth and Moon, and the influence of other celestial bodies.