Gravity: Constant on Earth? | Is It Divisible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of dividing the Earth into four sections and separating them far enough that they have no gravitational pull on each other. It is suggested that the gravity on each section would be 25% of the current gravity on Earth according to Newton's law of universal gravitation. However, this may not be accurate in all cases and the amount of mass ejected from a dying star cannot exceed the mass of the original star. Additionally, the conversation delves into the concept of mass and its relationship to gravity in both Newtonian and General Relativity.
Benplace
If the Earth were divided into 4 sections and separated far enough that they have no gravitational pull on each other, would the gravity on each section be 25% of the current gravity on Earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Benplace said:
If the Earth were divided into 4 sections and separated far enough that they have no gravitational pull on each other, would the gravity on each section be 25% of the current gravity on Earth?

Yes, considering Newton's law of universal gravitation. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_universal_gravitation.
Put 0.25*m2 instead of m2. m2 is mass of our Earth.
F is 0.25 times the original gravitational force.

Voyager I said:
Yes, considering Newton's law of universal gravitation. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_universal_gravitation.
Put 0.25*m2 instead of m2. m2 is mass of our Earth.
F is 0.25 times the original gravitational force.
The OP seems to ask about surface gravity. I don't think it will be equal to g/4 in general.

Likes Voyager I
Would the amount of star dust excreted from a dying star equal the gravitational force of the original star then?

Benplace said:
Would the amount of star dust excreted from a dying star equal the gravitational force of the original star then?
I'm sorry, but that question doesn't make a lot of sense. Can you try to be more clear about what you're asking? Also, note A.T.'s post above - the answer that Voyager1 provided may not have been correct, depending on what you're trying to ask.

Sorry, I'm not a physicist or a mathematician, I am just interested.
From what I understand, when a star dies, heavier elements are extracted from it. Does the total sum of those elements and the gravitational force they create equal the gravity the star originally created by warping space? From what I understand we all warp the fabric of space creating a gravitational force even though a small amount.

Gravity is just a function of mass. Well, actually, since you posted this in the relativity forum, it's more accurate to say it depends on the stress energy. But for ordinary, nonrelativistic matter, the stress-energy is dominated by the mass-energy.

So, it doesn't matter what the star is made of; just how massive it is. You also warp space, but not very much because you aren't very massive. The distribution of mass in a star can affect the gravitational field some, but stars are fairly close to spherical so the shape is not very important.

Newtonian gravity is linear. If you double the mass (while keeping the same dimensions), you have double the gravitational force on a test object.

General relativity is nonlinear. If you increase mass enough (while keeping the same dimensions), you eventually get a black hole.

What I am trying to figure out, is it possible that when a star dies the mass ejected from it could be greater than the mass of the original star?

Nope.

Benplace said:
What I am trying to figure out, is it possible that when a star dies the mass ejected from it could be greater than the mass of the original star?

No. If you used an external source of energy to disassemble a star - or a planet - that would require you to put energy into the system to perform the disassembly. It takes work to overcome the gravitational binding energy holding the star or planet together, so the total mass of the system would increases after dissassembly.

But the increase in energy of the system can be traced to the external source - it wouldn't happen that way if a star exploded.

To get into more details would require a fairly technical discussion of mass in General Relativity, which isn't a B-level topic.

Related to Gravity: Constant on Earth? | Is It Divisible?

1. What is the value of the gravitational constant on Earth?

The value of the gravitational constant on Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that for every second an object is falling towards the Earth, its speed increases by 9.8 meters per second.

2. Why is the gravitational constant considered a constant?

The gravitational constant is considered a constant because it does not change regardless of the mass or distance between objects. This means that the acceleration due to gravity remains the same for all objects on Earth.

3. How was the value of the gravitational constant determined?

The value of the gravitational constant was determined through experiments conducted by Sir Isaac Newton and later refined by Henry Cavendish. These experiments involved measuring the force of attraction between objects with known masses and distances.

4. Is the gravitational constant the same everywhere on Earth?

No, the gravitational constant can vary slightly in different locations on Earth due to factors such as altitude and geological composition. However, these variations are very small and do not significantly affect the overall value of the gravitational constant on Earth.

5. Can the gravitational constant be divided into smaller units?

No, the gravitational constant is a fundamental physical constant and cannot be divided into smaller units. It is a fixed value that is used in equations to calculate the force of gravity between two objects.