Gravitational Waves & Space-Time: Is There Proof?

In summary, the conversation revolved around whether the detection of gravitational waves proves the existence of space time. One person argued that space time is only a mathematical concept and that space does not exist, citing a dissident Hungarian scientist's website as evidence. The other person, a fan of physics, argued that the recent discovery by LIGO supports the theory of relativity and therefore proves the existence of space time. However, it was noted that theories cannot be proven and that while it is possible for a new theory to emerge, the increasing evidence supporting relativity makes it less likely. The thread was ultimately closed due to the discussion of a crackpot website.
RandAlthor
The original question title was too long, so i changed it. My question is: Does the detection of gravitational waves prove the existence of space time?

The question may sound odd. I had an argument with one of my friends, who says space time is only a mathematical concept, space does not exist, there is only matter.

He quotes [Mentors' note: link to crackpot site removed] this site, this is the page of some dissident Hungarian scientist, Janos Rohan. He says that gravitation is a pushing force, not pulling, and writes crazy stuff about gravitons mostly, saying Einstein and Hawking (and everyone else in the world) is wrong, there is no singularity, space cannot bend, etc.. I am in no way a physics expert ( nor is he), but i am a huge fan of physics, and space.

As far as i know the recent discovery LIGO made proves the theory of realtivity , so i think it proves the esxistence of space time too.

Does it? Can you give me any explanation with which i can prove the existence of space time (or simply space) to my friend?

Thank you for your help, and sorry for my english, i hope everything i said makes sense and understandable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We do not discuss crackpottery here, even to debunk it - and that website is most certainly crackpottery.

The detection of gravitational waves does not prove the theory of relativity, as there is no way of proving any theory - we cannot prove that no one could ever come up with some wonderful new theory that works even better than relativity. However, as more and more experiments match the predictions of relativity, that possibility looks less and less likely.

Thread closed.

Related to Gravitational Waves & Space-Time: Is There Proof?

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are created by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars.

2. How is space-time affected by gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves cause space-time to stretch and compress as they pass through it, similar to how a wave moves through water.

3. What is the evidence for gravitational waves?

The first direct evidence for gravitational waves came from the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) in 2015, which detected the gravitational waves produced by the merger of two black holes.

4. How do scientists detect gravitational waves?

Scientists use precise instruments, such as LIGO and the Virgo detector, to measure tiny changes in the distance between two points caused by gravitational waves passing through them.

5. Can gravitational waves be used for anything practical?

While gravitational waves have not yet been used for practical applications, their detection has opened up new avenues for studying the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies in the future.