Gravitational potential energy

In summary, the centripetal force required to keep a satellite orbiting a circle of radius ##r_s## is ##F=\frac{GmM_E}{r_s}##.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

For a satellite of mass ##m_s## in a circular orbit of radius ##r_s## around the Earth, determine its kinetic energy K.

Homework Equations

## K = \frac {1}{2}mv^2 ##
Gravitational potential energy ## U(r) = - \frac {GmM_E}{r}##

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is ## K = \frac {1}{2}m_sv^2 ## My textbook indicates that this is wrong and avoids using ## K = \frac {1}{2}mv^2 ## without saying why. Perhaps I can't use that equation in this question, but if that's the case, what's the reason? However my textbook states that the total energy for objects far from Earth's surface is the combination of both kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy
##\frac {1}{2}mv_1^2 - G \frac {mM_E}{r_1} = \frac {1}{2}mv_2^2 - G \frac {mM_E}{r_2} ##
Clearly, ## K = \frac {1}{2}mv^2 ## can be used in the same situation as gravitational potential energy. So why can't ## K = \frac {1}{2}mv^2 ## be used to solve the question, but it can be used for the total energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Was v given? (You didn't list it.)

The kinetic energy is definitely given by ##\frac{1}{2}m_sv^2##. However, it could be that you are asked to express this kinetic energy in terms of the radius of the orbit. That will require you to express the speed of the satellite in terms of the radius of the orbit.

robphy said:
Was v given? (You didn't list it.)
No velocity isn't given

Thanks everyone! I see what I did wrong. Velocity isn't given so I cannot use ##K = \frac {1}{2} mv^2 ##

You must use ##K=\frac{1}{2}m v^2## but first you have to calculate ##v## in terms of ##G,M_T, R_T+h## using ##\frac{G M_T m}{(R_T + h)^2} = \frac{m v^2}{(R_T + h)}##

To follow a circular trajectory of radius ##r_s##, what centripetal force is required ? What is it that exercises this force ? You have expressions for both, so you can equate them to find ##v##, and then the kinetic energy is ##K={\tfrac {1} {2}} mv^2##, expressed in the desired variables.

Related to Gravitational potential energy

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move an object from its current position to a reference point, usually at infinity, in a gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to the reference point. This formula assumes a constant gravitational field, such as near the surface of the Earth.

3. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of an object?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is affected by its mass, the strength of the gravitational field, and its height relative to the reference point. The higher the object is and the stronger the gravitational field, the greater the potential energy.

4. Can gravitational potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. When an object falls from a certain height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it gains speed.

5. How does gravitational potential energy play a role in everyday life?

Gravitational potential energy plays a role in many everyday activities, such as lifting objects, climbing stairs, and riding a rollercoaster. It is also crucial for understanding natural phenomena, such as the motion of planets and satellites in orbit around a larger object.