Gravitational Potential Energy of a rocket

In summary, the problem involved calculating the speed of a rocket when it is far away from the Earth's surface. Using the equation K1+U1=K2+U2, the rocket's mass cancels out and the final potential energy is assumed to be zero. The correct equation to use is .5V1^2=.5V2^2-(G*m*Me)/r, where V1 represents the final velocity and V2 represents the initial velocity at infinity. The radius of the Earth should be used for r when solving for V1. After correcting some algebra errors, the final answer is 1.06 *10^4 m/s.
mcnealymt

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched straight up from the Earth's surface at a speed of 1.80×104m/s . What is its speed when it is very far away from the earth? Answer in m/s

Homework Equations

K1+U1=K2+U2

The Attempt at a Solution

.5mV1^2-(G*m*Me)/r= .5mV2^2-(G*m*Me)/r
*** THe mass of the rocket should cancel out and the U1 aka (g*m*Me)/r should be zero.

you are left with:

.5V1^2=.5V2^2-(G*m*Me)/r
*** Now solve for V1

V1 = Square root of [ (.5V1^2+(GMe)/r)/.5 ]

I got 1.06 *10^4

what am I doing wrong? I know that you have to use conservation of energy and assume that since the rocket is traveling a very far distance the final potential energy is going to be zero. Could it be calculator issues?!

Physics news on Phys.org
mcnealymt said:
.5V1^2=.5V2^2-(G*m*Me)/r
*** Now solve for V1

V1 = Square root of [ (.5V1^2+[/COLOR](GMe)/r)/.5 ]
Watch the signs, and I think you meant V2 instead of V1 in the square root. I'm assuming that you are letting "1" stand for final and "2" for initial.

Why did you say U1 = 0? It's not.
Then: what is U2?

Your original equation is correct, but your implementation of it is incorrect. The r that goes along with V1 is the radius of the earth, and the r that goes along with V2 is infinite. Also, you need to check over your algebra...you have a problem with those 0.5's.

Your approach and equations are correct, but the final answer you got may be due to rounding errors in your calculator. The correct answer is 1.06*10^4 m/s. It is important to use the full values of all the variables and not round off until the final step to avoid any errors. Also, make sure you are using the correct values for the gravitational constant (G) and the mass of the Earth (Me).

Related to Gravitational Potential Energy of a rocket

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential to do work by virtue of an object's position relative to other objects.

2. How is gravitational potential energy related to rockets?

Rockets use gravitational potential energy to launch into space. The rocket's engines convert stored chemical energy into kinetic energy, which propels the rocket upwards against the force of gravity. As the rocket gains height, it also gains gravitational potential energy.

3. How is the gravitational potential energy of a rocket calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of a rocket can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the rocket, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the rocket from the ground.

4. Can the gravitational potential energy of a rocket be increased?

Yes, the gravitational potential energy of a rocket can be increased by either increasing its mass or increasing its height from the ground. This is why rockets are designed to be as lightweight as possible and why they must reach great heights to achieve escape velocity.

5. How does the gravitational potential energy of a rocket change during its flight?

As a rocket takes off, its gravitational potential energy decreases as it expends energy to overcome the force of gravity and move upwards. However, as the rocket reaches higher altitudes, its gravitational potential energy increases due to its increased height. Once the rocket reaches its maximum height, its gravitational potential energy is at its highest point.